Late diagnosis

Just had confirmation that I am autistic. I am in my late 50s and in the end my life experience couldn't really be explained any other way. It's been like trying to finish a jigsaw puzzle and finally finding the missing piece. I can start to let go of the past and maybe continue studying after I finish an MA. I would find it reassuring to read other people's experiences of late diagnosis. I feel a mixture of relief tempered by regret, if I had had help and support earlier I think many things would have been easier.

Parents
  • Hello ....6172, welcome to the forum.

Like you, I received a late diagnosis (aged 67).  Quite simply, getting assessed was the best thing I ever did. 'Relief and regret'.. yep, I've read that on the forum many times; you are certainly not alone in your thinking. I particularly  like your jigsaw analogy, in fact I wish I'd thought of that one.

If you're going to stick around for a while, can I suggest you give yourself a screen-name, it's much more friendly than a number, and makes it easier to recognise you if you join in on other posts.

Ben

• Hello ....6172, welcome to the forum.

Like you, I received a late diagnosis (aged 67).  Quite simply, getting assessed was the best thing I ever did. 'Relief and regret'.. yep, I've read that on the forum many times; you are certainly not alone in your thinking. I particularly  like your jigsaw analogy, in fact I wish I'd thought of that one.

If you're going to stick around for a while, can I suggest you give yourself a screen-name, it's much more friendly than a number, and makes it easier to recognise you if you join in on other posts.

Ben

Children
No Data