Hello.

Hello, my name is Mr. White. I was diagnosed with ASD this week, after over dare I say it eighty years, yes I am unfortunately a grumpy old git, according to my good lady. But really, my thanks to actually seeking a diagnosis goes to my wonderful great granddaughter who was diagnosed a couple years back and I noticed then that we are incredibly similar in certain ways like sensitivity to light and touch, not liking change too much, uncomfortable in social situations and we both have a dislike to large gatherings. I noticed the similarities we shared but did not intend to get diagnosed, however my good lady has kept on at me, as have my daughters and the majority of my family. So for a quiet life I went for the diagnosis and here I am now, four years on, more the wiser and feeling quietly delighted at finally knowing myself properly for the first time in the entirety of my life.

I no longer work full time. I had many jobs in my time from working on the tracks, as a general physician, postman to a fisherman off the coast of Cornwall. In the eighties I entered the antiques business. I had always had an eye for antiques of all kinds and owned a few of my own so decided to do one of my hobbies as my job, something I could do from the comfort of my own home, perhaps my autism deep down as going out to work could make me uneasy. I'm still in the antiques trade, part time, it's a family run business now and my twin son and daughter have taken over for me. I still make sure they don't bugger it though haha.

I think I will stop here as I appear to be writing my memoirs. My sincerest apologies. I shall light my pipe now and enjoy a glass of whisky and a record.

Good evening. 

Parents
  • uncomfortable in social situations and we both have a dislike to large gatherings.

Hi Whitey---Forgive my brashness---I'm an uncivilized Yank who had a close friend of the same name many years ago, and already feel a camaraderie towards you although at a subliminal level regarding antiques --- which I know nothing about ---apart from being one at age 78.  I echo a few of your points made with the add-on of not being a very good verbal communicator, always preferring the written word (hence the reason for my own varied background with solitary work supported by my skill set) I look forward to further chats and share with you my recent ASD diagnosis which helped me with a deeper understanding of myself and others reactions to me, so well done to you for your own diagnosis!

• uncomfortable in social situations and we both have a dislike to large gatherings.

Hi Whitey---Forgive my brashness---I'm an uncivilized Yank who had a close friend of the same name many years ago, and already feel a camaraderie towards you although at a subliminal level regarding antiques --- which I know nothing about ---apart from being one at age 78.  I echo a few of your points made with the add-on of not being a very good verbal communicator, always preferring the written word (hence the reason for my own varied background with solitary work supported by my skill set) I look forward to further chats and share with you my recent ASD diagnosis which helped me with a deeper understanding of myself and others reactions to me, so well done to you for your own diagnosis!

Children
No Data