Support after diagnosis

Evening all

So I got diagnosed finally last year at the age of 42. And well basically thats it.. No more information other than the diagnosis. 

I just don't know where I go from here. I'm very reclusive, and that suits me just fine, but I have no support or understanding from my family. Its more of a 'well everyones autistic' or ' we all have funny ways'. So its really hard for me to understand what austism means for me and how I should be.

I do have an autistic son and I believe my daughter has it too. I understand how they both are and have always advocated for them. 

I'm starting a new job soon and I dont want to mess it up because of how I am. Any advice would be great

Parents
  • Hey!

Hope you're well. May I ask where abouts you are based? If you'd like my advice, you should be completely yourself. I know it's easier said than done. Masking is tiring and in the right company I'm sure you'll feel comfortable. How did you feel after your diagnosis? I felt so relieved to finally understand myself better. RE the new job, I'd have a direct conversation with your new employer before you start. Tell them what you struggle with as they have a duty to cater for your needs. But, also, don't be shy to sell yourself because I'm sure you have many wonderful qualities! Being direct really seems to help me. I really appreciate it when people are direct with me and, therefore, I'm always, politely, direct with them- because when you don't know something it can make you feel a bit anxious or confused- especially if you make a mistake because you didn't know. I know communication can be hard but the more direct you can be with your new employer the better. You could aso ask them to be direct with you too about what's expected/not expected of you. This should hopefully help you all to feel more confident moving forward. Hope it goes well!

Take care, feel free to chat whenever.

• Hey!

Hope you're well. May I ask where abouts you are based? If you'd like my advice, you should be completely yourself. I know it's easier said than done. Masking is tiring and in the right company I'm sure you'll feel comfortable. How did you feel after your diagnosis? I felt so relieved to finally understand myself better. RE the new job, I'd have a direct conversation with your new employer before you start. Tell them what you struggle with as they have a duty to cater for your needs. But, also, don't be shy to sell yourself because I'm sure you have many wonderful qualities! Being direct really seems to help me. I really appreciate it when people are direct with me and, therefore, I'm always, politely, direct with them- because when you don't know something it can make you feel a bit anxious or confused- especially if you make a mistake because you didn't know. I know communication can be hard but the more direct you can be with your new employer the better. You could aso ask them to be direct with you too about what's expected/not expected of you. This should hopefully help you all to feel more confident moving forward. Hope it goes well!

Take care, feel free to chat whenever.

Children
No Data