My son and i

Hey :) 

My son who is 11 was diagnosed with ASD about 3 weeks ago, we have been waiting for this for 9 years its been such a long journey. 

the struggle i am facing is telling my son about his diagnosis, he have heard medical professional, family interventions teams, teachers, doctors pointed toward ADHD and my son have fixed on that now after my self and his father explained it may not be that etc and we need to wait  whilst the ND team done their thing. Anyways for him to get support ready and the ball rolling for when he goes to year 7 comprehensive school we need to tell him about his diagnosis.

my question is, how did you tell your children or family member who had their diagnosis?

thanks in advance. x

Parents
  • Both my children have autism, when I told them I told them I explained that everyone has things they are good at and things they struggle with and that they are just the same, just a little more intense. I told them for everything they find hard they have traits that are wonderful and I would be there to help and support them through all the things that they find tough. They’re both good boys, we have our difficulties but we try and focus on the things that make them stand out like their fantastic manners for example. Also was told which I found really interesting from their wonderful head teacher was to try never to refer to the child being autistic but that they have autism so they don’t think that them having autism defines them. We also told them that an autism diagnosis is not a negative thing, it just means that the help and support is there If needed. Hope that helps a little 

• That's really helpful thank you! I saw a said diagnosis is "life changing, not defying and I thought that was a lovely way of putting it. I planned on telling him tomorrow when his dad is off work so we can be there together to support him. X

• That's really helpful thank you! I saw a said diagnosis is "life changing, not defying and I thought that was a lovely way of putting it. I planned on telling him tomorrow when his dad is off work so we can be there together to support him. X

Children
No Data