Dazed and Confused

Hi all,

I'm 47 and was told recently by a mental health professional that I might be autistic. I started doing some research and writing out a list of my 'traits', and man was I surprised (like many people, my understanding of autism was poor). I’ve also done several online tests, such as those on the embrace autism site, and they all came back with fairly convincing results.

My GP agrees regarding the possibility of autism and has referred me for the full assessment, but the NHS waiting list is two to three years. Private is £2,000! So I'm in limbo.

On the one hand, it would a huge relief if I were diagnosed as autistic because it would answer a lot of questions I've had about myself my whole life. It would also help massively with work. On the other, I'm not sure who I am anymore since I'm beginning to understand about masking and the coping strategies I've used over the years. Add to that the fact I'll have to wait a long time to even find out and get any kind of support.

So I’d really appreciate any advice any of you can give on the following:

• Coping with the uncertainty whilst waiting for an official diagnosis (would a diagnosis even help?)
  • Living with autism (I suspect I’m level 1 but that’s a complete guess)
  • Handling work-related issues (time management, challenging authority, sitting through meetings/training sessions, bluntness, being micromanaged, etc) and getting management to understand without an official diagnosis
  • Dealing with autistic burnout

Anything you find useful would be most welcome as well.

I’m also keen to avoid sounding like I’m self-diagnosing because I want/need it to be autism. I just to understand myself better. I don’t know how to handle that either. There’s a lot I’m struggling to handle right now Frowning2

Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi NAS5652

I am in the same boat as you, having been on the local diagnostic service waiting list for three and a half years. I have been recommended a private service which is significantly cheaper that £2000, although they still have a 6-8 month waiting list. But at least they can give you an explicit appointment when you sign-up to join the list.

As for dealing with work, I have just introduced "recharge" weeks - inspired by my son who has a diagnosis - so that every sixth week I just work half days.  This has been successful to a certain extent and helped me avoid the regular burnouts I have been suffering with over the last three years.

Fwiw, I am also currently looking for help with work (see Online work meeting difficulties - is it just me?).

Best wishes
    Just some guy

• I like the "recharge" week idea. I feel a bit of fraud asking for things like that, yet I know I need it. I think my employer would be open to something like that, so thank you. I'll check out your other post too.

Reply Children
No Data