Struggling to help daughter

Hi everyone

My daughter is 16yrs and currently awaiting appointment for assessment for ADHD/ASD and she's having a burn out I think as she hasn't left her room since the weekend and other than bringing her meals and trying to coax her out not sure what else I should be doing.

Parents
  • You could ask her what you can do to help - the answer is probably going to be nothing but plant that seed and ask again when you see her.

The chances are she will have some requests to make it more comfortable to be in the family environment and may just want to sit with you with her headphones on and not be nagged about being sociable.

When we are in meltdown mode we just want to be left alone, so it will help her if you can support her and keep the door open (figuratively) to come back into the family environment when she is ready and without judgement,

If she has a favourite treat and can have this with you without noisy / troublesome siblings troubling her, then you have the perfect lure for this.

• You could ask her what you can do to help - the answer is probably going to be nothing but plant that seed and ask again when you see her.

The chances are she will have some requests to make it more comfortable to be in the family environment and may just want to sit with you with her headphones on and not be nagged about being sociable.

When we are in meltdown mode we just want to be left alone, so it will help her if you can support her and keep the door open (figuratively) to come back into the family environment when she is ready and without judgement,

If she has a favourite treat and can have this with you without noisy / troublesome siblings troubling her, then you have the perfect lure for this.

Children
  • Thanks for your reply Iain,I have managed to get her out of her room and into the shower,first time since Sunday and she states she doesn't know how she feels but "needs" to go to college as her lecWorriedrer said a few days off was ok and I suspect that's what's adding to her stress and she says she doesn't want to be stuck in bed in her room and wants to go to college but I'm not sure she physicallWorriedcan Worried