Just didn't quite feel "normal"

Hi all, just interested in finding out how you became aware of your Autism?

for me, it was very recently at the age of 53, i had been sat doing a bit of soul searching, sat there looking back through my life realising i havent had as many relationships as others my age, and realising i only have family and work colleague, not friends and that i have struggle throughout life to try to form any.

i find starting up conversations can be very difficult, and keeping them going more so, i have never felt comfortable in social settings, often trying to find a corner to slink off in to. Centre of attention is a big no, i had to give a best mans speech once, i didnt sleep well for 3 weeks, and on the big day had to have plenty of support from the wife and dutch courage from the bottle.

I thought i may have just been very insecure and shy but decided, although its too late in life to change whats past, i would have a chat with my GP, just to see if there was anything that could explain "me".

having completed the test she sent, it came back with the result of strong Autistic characteristics. i now have to wait to get a proper assessment, but this could help explain why i am the way i am

Siggy

Parents
  • It was an autistic friend of mine that mentioned it, and at the time I was seeing GPimhs for dealing with anxiety and depression. The practioner gave me the AQ-10 (and the ADHD one) to complete and I scored as suspected autism and it went from there. I finally had my assessment via Right to Choose on Tuesday and was diagnosed with autism and it explained so much of why I've always felt like an outsider, or never fitted in.

• It was an autistic friend of mine that mentioned it, and at the time I was seeing GPimhs for dealing with anxiety and depression. The practioner gave me the AQ-10 (and the ADHD one) to complete and I scored as suspected autism and it went from there. I finally had my assessment via Right to Choose on Tuesday and was diagnosed with autism and it explained so much of why I've always felt like an outsider, or never fitted in.

Children