Self help books for newly diagnosed

Hi,

Please can someone kindly recommend any type of self help books that have been written for people with ASD.

Without being rude to this website, it do not seem clear on their information pages and feels written towards people without ASD.

Is driving me up the wall that there is some much written as textbooks, for parents, and for people who do not have ASD, and nothing that people with ASD can use them selfs

I am looking for something to help with burnout, communication, social skills, and how to remain in work and cope. 

Many Thanks to you all SunglassesSunglassesSunglasses

Parents
  • One book I found which was really useful when you don't have a lot of exposure to Autism is:

Harold Reitman - Aspertools: The Practical Guide for Understanding and Embracing Asperger's, Autism Spectrum Disorders, and Neurodiversity (2015)

I'm pretty sure it is on Amazon.

It was written by a father who had invested a lot of time and effort into writing some very practical guides for parents with Autistic children, but the "tools" are actually very translatable to adults too.

It is clearly written with very practical steps and therefore easy to follow,

Most other books I've read recently on the subject (quite a lot) have been written by professionals who have no actual experience of being Autistic themselves, and can come across as a bit dry and clinical.

Another promising read is:

Been There. Done That. Try This! An Aspie’s Guide to Life on Earth
    edited by Tony Attwood, Craig R. Evans and Anita Lesko   

It has also been published as a whole series of chapters on different topics, titled "An Aspie's Guide to...."

with chapters such as:

An Aspie's Guide to Getting and Keeping a Job

An Aspie's Guide to Disclosing a Diagnosis

An Aspie's Guide to Improving Empathetic Attunement

An Aspie's Guide to Living with Sensory Issues

Aspie's guide to being tested for Asperger's HFA

An Aspie's Guide to Overcoming Poor Self-Esteem

and so on.

I hope these may help.

• One book I found which was really useful when you don't have a lot of exposure to Autism is:

Harold Reitman - Aspertools: The Practical Guide for Understanding and Embracing Asperger's, Autism Spectrum Disorders, and Neurodiversity (2015)

I'm pretty sure it is on Amazon.

It was written by a father who had invested a lot of time and effort into writing some very practical guides for parents with Autistic children, but the "tools" are actually very translatable to adults too.

It is clearly written with very practical steps and therefore easy to follow,

Most other books I've read recently on the subject (quite a lot) have been written by professionals who have no actual experience of being Autistic themselves, and can come across as a bit dry and clinical.

Another promising read is:

Been There. Done That. Try This! An Aspie’s Guide to Life on Earth
    edited by Tony Attwood, Craig R. Evans and Anita Lesko   

It has also been published as a whole series of chapters on different topics, titled "An Aspie's Guide to...."

with chapters such as:

An Aspie's Guide to Getting and Keeping a Job

An Aspie's Guide to Disclosing a Diagnosis

An Aspie's Guide to Improving Empathetic Attunement

An Aspie's Guide to Living with Sensory Issues

Aspie's guide to being tested for Asperger's HFA

An Aspie's Guide to Overcoming Poor Self-Esteem

and so on.

I hope these may help.

Children
No Data