work

Hi there i am in the process of getting an autism diagnosis. I've got to say it's a breath of fresh air reading the posts on here. I'm so happy i'm not alone. The question i have is what kind of work do people do as i have done various jobs but struggle with the social side of it.  

Parents
  • I had a conversation with my wife about 18 months ago, she sort of blurted out that I had hated every job I had ever had. About the same time I realised I’m autistic. I hadn’t hated every job, I had struggled in every job. I would watch the neurotypicals working and tried to copy them. I can’t work like them, I’m not a team player, I need to be alone. The constant masking was just draining me. I work alone now, I don’t see another person for 8 hours per day. I had a customer ‘drop in’ about 6 months ago, I tried to explain how autism affects me, he said that I was obviously okay with him, I unmasked and told him that I just tolerated him. Never seen him since, happy days!

• I had a conversation with my wife about 18 months ago, she sort of blurted out that I had hated every job I had ever had. About the same time I realised I’m autistic. I hadn’t hated every job, I had struggled in every job. I would watch the neurotypicals working and tried to copy them. I can’t work like them, I’m not a team player, I need to be alone. The constant masking was just draining me. I work alone now, I don’t see another person for 8 hours per day. I had a customer ‘drop in’ about 6 months ago, I tried to explain how autism affects me, he said that I was obviously okay with him, I unmasked and told him that I just tolerated him. Never seen him since, happy days!

Children