Do I have Autism or an NVLD (or both)?

Hello

I'm 30-something suffering from the sort of burnout that really makes me think I might be on the autistic spectrum.

When I was 16 I took a dyslexia test and the psychologist just stopped shy of diagnosing me with a non-verbal learning disability (NVLD). She found a big difference between my verbal and performance IQ but basically said I was so high functioning that I didn't really need many accommodations.

I thought that was that and that I was basically OK. I've always known I was different to other people but I've generally found my own ways to cope. Recently, however, I have been feeling increasingly burnout at work and unhappy. It occurs to me that the dyslexia test focused on my IQ/learning ability and not the other areas of my psychology. I do a lot of weird things that are a bit autistic-y, if that makes sense. My Mum is pretty sure l must be on the autistic spectrum and even says I'm just like the character of Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory.

Here is a list of some of my historic and current strange behaviours; could they be signs of autism or even another form of neurodivergence?

1. I cannot form deep or meaningful relationships with other people. In other words I cannot bond. I don't know how to explain it but I can see that other people connect with each other and I can't do that. My family have always said it's because I'm too shy or don't try hard enough to make friends but, even though I can get on well with some people, I just can't form any sort of attachment. Personally, I don't see this as a problem, as you can't miss what you've never had, but other people seem to think it's an issue. I generally work to hide this from strangers and casual acquaintances so that I don't look like a weirdo or loser. 

2. I keep to a really strict routine and don't like it when I have to alter it. Altering my routine makes me so uncomfortable that I've been avoiding visiting my family for the past year or so as I know it will involve staying up later or eating at different times.

3. I cannot estimate time correctly. You make think this means I'm regularly late for things but quite the opposite, I'm always ridiculously early. I tend to think that I'm going to be late and so give myself far more time than is needed to get anywhere. To put this in context, I used to arrive at university lectures 20 minutes early and I currently get into work before 7:30am (I'm usually the first person in the office). 

4. I consciously and unconsciously compare my behaviour to others and copy their behaviours and mannerisms. When I was a pre-teen I unknowingly copied the way my babysitter ran; I'm sure I did this sort of thing more regularly but I actually realised it on that occasion. Sometimes I do it knowingly; when I was very young I used to study my classmates when they were drawing so that I could make sure my drawings looked right.

These are just some of the strange things I do. I would like to figure out whether I'm on the spectrum as I know it should inform how I treat my burnout. I did ask for an assessment referral from my GP but they said there is a 3 year waiting list and that counciling would be a better option for me. 

I think my issue is, that whatever I have, I am very high functioning so I can sort of muddle through life until something comes up that I really can't handle. Now that I'm in my 30s I think I need to be more intentional about the coping strategies I create as some the ones I've used in the past aren't working anymore. 

Parents
  • Hi There, I understand everything you have said. You sound like you have been masking for a very long time just as I have. High functioning is a term they use to describe me because if you do put me in a situation I can get through it, smile when needed, nod when needed, do what is expected of me and excel far beyond people's expectations, this is just the ADHD side of me I have discovered as I hyperfocus on things, but I get burnout every 1-2 years and have to withdraw for a few months from basically everything, my latest withdrawel has been ongoing for nearly 3 years, outside peopleing is not for me.

Don't be put off by your GP and just settle for counselling, counselling will help, but only if you know what the underlying problem is. The wait is really really worth it so my advice would be to get on the waiting list now, I wish I had done mine sooner, I might not be so dysfunctional now if I had, but then I grew up with the 'Autism and ADHD were just for boys' so I only started realising who I was around age 38, diagnosed with ADHD at 40 they lost my paperwork and now fighting to get an Autism diagnosis.

• Hi There, I understand everything you have said. You sound like you have been masking for a very long time just as I have. High functioning is a term they use to describe me because if you do put me in a situation I can get through it, smile when needed, nod when needed, do what is expected of me and excel far beyond people's expectations, this is just the ADHD side of me I have discovered as I hyperfocus on things, but I get burnout every 1-2 years and have to withdraw for a few months from basically everything, my latest withdrawel has been ongoing for nearly 3 years, outside peopleing is not for me.

Don't be put off by your GP and just settle for counselling, counselling will help, but only if you know what the underlying problem is. The wait is really really worth it so my advice would be to get on the waiting list now, I wish I had done mine sooner, I might not be so dysfunctional now if I had, but then I grew up with the 'Autism and ADHD were just for boys' so I only started realising who I was around age 38, diagnosed with ADHD at 40 they lost my paperwork and now fighting to get an Autism diagnosis.

Children
No Data