My son Jack

Hello everyone, I have never posted on a discussion thread before.  I really want to help my so Jack aged 9 who was diagnosed yesterdayHugging.  I would like to reach out to anyone who reads this for your help and guidance.  My understanding of Autism is growing by the day but it's only day 2 so I would like some advice on where to go to learn more.  Are there highly recommended introductory books, articles or videos?.  Are there groups, people to meet, other children Jack could interact with and learn from?

I am at that initial stage of feeling slightly bewildered yet excited and optimistic knowing I could make my son's life much easier and more enjoyable.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thumbsup

Parents

• I am at that initial stage of feeling slightly bewildered yet excited and optimistic knowing I could make my son's life much easier and more enjoyable.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well, providing your son has minimal support needs (i.e., Type 1 Autism) rather than so much as having moderate type 2 or maximum type 3 support requirements, and is in standard education and all that ~ I usually recommend 'Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome' or Asperger’s Syndrome: A Guide For Parents and Professionals books by Tony Attwood, as they would have made all the difference in a massively bewildering state of affairs during my upbringing and education etcetera.

• Thanks Deepthought, interesting you mention the different types, I would say he is a type 1, but this wasn't even mentioned during the meeting when he was diagnosed, which I thought odd.  I know they said they were going to send a pack through formalising the diagnosis along with links to materials etc in 4 weeks time.  Will that contain a more detailed summary of his condition?

• Will that contain a more detailed summary of his condition?

Yes ~ although some are more detailed than others, with different diagnostic services and diagnosticians ~ some reports are longer, others shorter, depending upon the individual diagnosed, also. 

• Will that contain a more detailed summary of his condition?

Yes ~ although some are more detailed than others, with different diagnostic services and diagnosticians ~ some reports are longer, others shorter, depending upon the individual diagnosed, also. 

Children
No Data