Diagnosed at 46!

Hi there good people. I am hoping to talk to fellow ND folks in a world of NT folks.

I am female, recently diagnosed at the age of 46. To be honest, it just confirmed my suspicions for the last 6 years or so. It was through the NHS. I already have a psychiatrist as I also have schizophrenia and she also does the Autism assessments in our county. She fast tracked me so I only waited a year.

I find that after a couple of hours of talking to and being with NT people I want to poke my own eyes out and start screaming. Does anyone else feel like this? For what it's worth, my partner of 13 years also thinks he is Autistic but is very happy with it and doesn't think there would be anything to gain by persuing a diagnosis.

I really want to connect with fellow Autistic people and make some friends.

Parents
  • Hi How are you doing? just wanted to say hi and yes I would rather stick pins in my eyes than trying to communicate sometimes it can be very tricky navigating communication invariably at some point I will drop a clanger or miss some kind of social que. I was very lucky as it only took 6 months all in all to get a diagnosis I do feel very lucky as I know a lot of people are struggling. Anyway hope your are having a super day. 

• Hi, I'm doing grand thanks! 6 months is very quick and I thought mine was speedy being a year. Was yours on the N HS?

Reply Children
  • Hi yes it was on the NHS but contracted out to a private practice otherwise I would have been waiting a long time. I waited over two years to see a clinical psychologist I was under the care of a community mental health during that time and was the psychiatrist that asked my drs surgery to make an application for funding for autism and it just happened super quick.