Help in the Workplace

Hi,

I am new to the group and need some advice. 

My son was diagnosed  with Selective Mutism at the age of 14 yrs.

He struggled throughout his school years and bullied by his teachers.

He has been working 8 hrs a week in one of the major supermarkets for the last 5 years; but struggles. 

After been bullied and humiliated by Manager's 18months ago and been off work for 6 months with work relative stress. I organised a meeting whereby a plan was put in to place so he felt he could go back and feel comfortable. 

Unfortunately, the plan is no longer been initiated by the Supermarket therefore causing my son to be withdrawn and unable to go in to do his job.

I have arranged another meeting with his Managers on Thursday to discuss the problems. 

I need your advice as my son struggles talking to customers, but enjoys filling shelves and rumbling. 

What should I say to get my son back to work and happy?

Many thanks for reading my post .

Parents
  • I am so sorry for those of us who struggle,but if you are in the UK and work/intend to work/have been absent from work I would advise that you do the following:

Look on the gov UK site for ACCESS TO WORK. This is a government structure to support anyone who is disabled/differently abled and this covers autism/mutism/neurodiversity. If the person is able to, refer yourself to access to work using their online form or telephone number. If needed, refer the person because they are not able to do this. Then an advisor will contact you. If you know what you need to be changed or bought in your workplace you can tell them. If you do not know what will help they will ask you to have an assessment. This is supportive and the assessor will write a report for your workplace. If you need things that will cost money Access to Work will also say howuch money they will pay towards this . It is not linked to benefits or anything else and once that report is written the workplace must consider their legal position regarding what they are doing and the Equalities act. The access to work purpose is to keep disabled people in work. If you live in the UK please use it as it is the greatest support I have ever seen for helping us to work in the UK.

• I am so sorry for those of us who struggle,but if you are in the UK and work/intend to work/have been absent from work I would advise that you do the following:

Look on the gov UK site for ACCESS TO WORK. This is a government structure to support anyone who is disabled/differently abled and this covers autism/mutism/neurodiversity. If the person is able to, refer yourself to access to work using their online form or telephone number. If needed, refer the person because they are not able to do this. Then an advisor will contact you. If you know what you need to be changed or bought in your workplace you can tell them. If you do not know what will help they will ask you to have an assessment. This is supportive and the assessor will write a report for your workplace. If you need things that will cost money Access to Work will also say howuch money they will pay towards this . It is not linked to benefits or anything else and once that report is written the workplace must consider their legal position regarding what they are doing and the Equalities act. The access to work purpose is to keep disabled people in work. If you live in the UK please use it as it is the greatest support I have ever seen for helping us to work in the UK.

Children
No Data