Recent diagnosed

Hello Everyone 

I’m a parent whose child has been diagnosed as being autistic, and honestly I’m very emotional about it but knew that this could be the case. My son is perfect to me but I have all sorts of questions such as what happens next, his school journey and how things will transpire. I would welcome anyone to share their experience and how things  moved forward, much appreciated. 

Parents
  •  Following diagnosis, you need to contact the school and work out what accommodations and support your son will benefit most from. Your son has the legal right to these under disability legislation.  Accommodations can come in many forms, depending on whether specific sensory problems exist etc.

• Thanks Martin, can I also ask if a school can decline to enrol my son due to this diagnosis ? 

• I think that it would come under disability discrimination, and could be challenged. They might say that they do not have the staff or facilities to cope, but in that case your local education authority is obliged to make alternative arrangements.

• I think that it would come under disability discrimination, and could be challenged. They might say that they do not have the staff or facilities to cope, but in that case your local education authority is obliged to make alternative arrangements.

Children