Hello, what next?

Hi,

I live up north, though originally from down south.  I'm newly diagnosed (yesterday) and just received my report.  The report seems accurate and I'm not surprised or in disagreement with any of it.   The recommendations though just seem to be  a bit generic, I think I was hoping for something more personalised, so I'm wondering what other people did post-diagnosis?

Should I work on non-verbal communication and socio-emotional reciprocity or not?  I know since the pandemic I've struggled to put the mask back on, so I just want to be free of all of that now.....

I also do some poetry/spoken word - here's something I wrote yesterday called 'Diagnosis':

And suddenly I wasn't on the waiting list anymore
And it's not like someone switched the light on and I could see
It's more that someone switched the light off
The one in the back of the room
That had been flickering and buzzing
Annoying and distracting me
Whilst I wondered why no-one else seemed able to see or hear it
Why no-one else was bothered by it
It was gone
And I was free just to be who I am
Just to be me

Parents
  • Wow! Great writing, thanks...

Sorry for the generic comments on your diagnostic report.

I had a similar experience re: (lack of) post diagnostic support. 

Listen to your head and heart, try to find whatever works best for you? Online support, interest groups, nature, reading, outreach staff/support organisations, etc? One size definitely doesn't fit all...

• Wow! Great writing, thanks...

Sorry for the generic comments on your diagnostic report.

I had a similar experience re: (lack of) post diagnostic support. 

Listen to your head and heart, try to find whatever works best for you? Online support, interest groups, nature, reading, outreach staff/support organisations, etc? One size definitely doesn't fit all...

Children
  • Thanks Anna.

There was a session at work for neurodiverse employees, many of things they had on the slides for autism, I found I was already doing like asking for bullet points and decisions backed up in writing.