Newbie wants to say hello

Hello all,

I am new to the group and wanted to say hello.

Myself and my wife are awaiting an ASD assessment for our two year old daughter. We are very concerned about the length of waiting time for one. We are considering getting a load to go for a private consultation but have been told by several people (some in the NHS) that not all private assessors are recognised.

I have not been very proactive in this, to be quite honest and my wife is struggling. I think I was in denial about it for a long time, I am depressed and have been on anti-depressants for many years, but this should be no excuse, I should not have left everything to my wife to do for our daughter.

Our daughter has a very poor sleep pattern and last night was awake the whole night til 6m. This is exhausting for my wife as well as me but I know she does the majority of it as she is still breastfeeding and I work full time. My wife is currently off work to care for our daughter.

Hope to make friends here and learn more about autism as I there is so much to learn.

Thank you for reading.

Happy New Year to all!

Kind regards,

Gerard

• Check that a private assessment provider is registered with the NHS and that the clinician or clinicians have relevant qualifications and memberships of medical bodies that grant the right to practise.

Many private providers also do NHS work, which is a good indicator that they have met the relevant requirements.

One such, that I used, is Psychiatry UK - https://psychiatry-uk.com/ - I was assessed privately by an NHS consultant psychiatrist. As can be seen from their webpage header they do NHS-funded work, through the NHS 'Right to Choose' scheme.