Hide yourself

I am struggling to understand why autistic people should hide their faces on this site. To me this sounds like neurodivergent prejudice? And incredibly outdated!

Parents
  • The problem isn't ND prejudice. There are a few issues:

Client/Patient Confidentiality

Matters of Affording Dignity (such as when someone is having a medical issue and has suffered rejection or abuse for their human messiness)

Legal consequences for Countries which don't understand Autism and WILL use what you say against you to either prohibit medical help, prohibit freedom of movement or remove human rights

All of these are valid reasons for maintaining these silly facades. In a perfect world we wouldn't need them. But where do we draw the line between being someone safe to confide in and betraying trust? Not everyone has the rules and understating about the weight and responsibility which comes with another being vulnerable an intimate in their connexion and communication. While one of the best features about being Autistic is our loyalty and honesty, we might not be reliable to keep information shared from leaking- for the sake of the Truth. We might not know how or why it matters, but information shared can be a gift and an investment.

All Truth has a Context. And if we take a truth out of context it can quickly become a lie. Such as telling someone how ugly they are even when we claim to deeply care about them. If we care about them, we'll find out if they're interested in us sharing our opinion and we'll think of a way to help them be a little more presentable IF AND WHEN they'd like our help. But to just volunteer raw, thoughtless and possibly careless information because it's in my head is not Autistic and Truthful. It's immature and selfish.

Matters of Dignity are important. Betraying information can ruin someone in this world. There is time and place for authenticity :) 

Reply Children
No Data