Teen daughter 16 unmasked, confused Mum here

I am so thankful I found this Web site. I have learnt a lot in the last 2 hours!

My daughter is nearly 17. She had / has anorexia and was not responding to the usual therapy. An experienced nurse wondered about ASD and arranged an assessment which to my surprise gave an autism diagnosis.

Since then my daughter seems to have  totally changed. All of a sudden she now says she has sensory issues with food textures, this is the same girl who age 10 was enjoying everything from sushi to snails and steak. She is now saying she can't eat with us as she needs total silence in the kitchen, although she had been eating in busy noisy restaurants before. She now says she can't focus on school work and need decompression time. She studied so well for her National 5's (scottish gcse) She now says she can't speak on the phone, the list goes on.

I am so confused, how can getting a diagnosis change her so much? Has she always had these issues but now the diagnosis has given her permission to reveal them? 

Parents
  • It's possible that seven years ago she didn't mind those foid so much, but now a lot of things have changed for her because of her anorexia.  Mental health can affect appetite and tastes do change over time. Things are also very difficult at that age, and the added stress of exams and the world on the last few years could have built up to a burn out where everything has become much more sensitive. It's like how light and noise seem worse when you have a hangover. 

• It's possible that seven years ago she didn't mind those foid so much, but now a lot of things have changed for her because of her anorexia.  Mental health can affect appetite and tastes do change over time. Things are also very difficult at that age, and the added stress of exams and the world on the last few years could have built up to a burn out where everything has become much more sensitive. It's like how light and noise seem worse when you have a hangover. 

Children
No Data