Hello!

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed last year aged 37. It is strange that only my husband accepts the diagnoses (my parents, siblings and friends don’t accept my diagnosis)…especially as the traits seem so clear to me now.

Anyway, I wanted to say hello and say that I’m happy this forum exists as there doesn’t seem to be much support in my area for people with high functioning autism (correct me if there’s a better phrase I could be using).

I’m feeling a bit lost and a bit stuck in a rut about a lot of things that hopefully I’ll be able to find some advice about in some of these threads.

Parents
  • Diagnosis for me has sparked a re-ordering of what I know, and my brain feels more "plastic" as a result.

Every day I seem to get a new insight or understanding even two years after diagnosis. (Mind you, I am trying to integrate 59 years of pre-diagnosis misunderstandings and confusion, so I guess it should take a while for most people.

But, my goodness, life has become a lot more interesting and I see some things in a completely different way now...

I also know much better what sort of people deserve a bit of disrespect and vice verca, which might make me less likely to hold myself back from expressing myself as often as I used to. We will see where that leads over time...

The big thing is that at last I feel like I am a whole person. Just made a bit differently.

In a society that has been pushing "diversity" as a blessing for the last forty years, I finally feel like there SHOULD be "a place set for me at the table", and I have a right to claim my place at that table... 

*EDIT* Oh, and welcome to the forum! (where are my manners..)

• Diagnosis for me has sparked a re-ordering of what I know, and my brain feels more "plastic" as a result.

Every day I seem to get a new insight or understanding even two years after diagnosis. (Mind you, I am trying to integrate 59 years of pre-diagnosis misunderstandings and confusion, so I guess it should take a while for most people.

But, my goodness, life has become a lot more interesting and I see some things in a completely different way now...

I also know much better what sort of people deserve a bit of disrespect and vice verca, which might make me less likely to hold myself back from expressing myself as often as I used to. We will see where that leads over time...

The big thing is that at last I feel like I am a whole person. Just made a bit differently.

In a society that has been pushing "diversity" as a blessing for the last forty years, I finally feel like there SHOULD be "a place set for me at the table", and I have a right to claim my place at that table... 

*EDIT* Oh, and welcome to the forum! (where are my manners..)

Children
No Data