New

Helloooooo Hugging

I'm new, I'm Cassandraa.

I've been struggling with coping with anxiety. I'm not sure if you find the same but mine is severe and with me day and night.

I get a lot of physical side effects from it which I was certain was something more serious but apparently it isn't.

I suffer with nausea a lot. That's a mixture of the autism, anxiety and some issue with my stomach. It's horrible and it stops me going out.

I've been looking for coping methods but nothing seems to work.

At times it's almost like anxiety is immortal.

I've been doing drawing,

Pencil sketching.

I started a few years ago and now it's my go to daily thing to do.

I find that can help me feel a little better but never gets rid of the anxiety.

Parents
  • Anxiety is ‘immortal’ in that anxiety is actually a normal part of human experience and without it we’d get into all sorts of danger. It exists really to keep us safe from danger. Like you though I have high levels of anxiety that are disproportionate and detrimental to my everyday life and my functioning. 
    I’m really sorry that you’re struggling with this too - it’s a very difficult think to live with - and very often autistic people struggle with this more. However there are things you can do. There’s so much information available  online to help you tackle this. I think it’s useful that when you have an anxious thought you look at it analytically and ask yourself: what evidence do I have to support this thought? Look at the evidence objectively - and ideally speak to someone you trust and ask them for their view too - and think: do I really need to worry about this? Am I in any danger? If you’re not in any danger then you are quite safe and you don’t need to feel scared. Replace the unhelpful, anxious thought with a reassuring, comforting thought. In time - if you keep doing this - your threat response will reduce and you will start to feel less anxious. 

• Anxiety is ‘immortal’ in that anxiety is actually a normal part of human experience and without it we’d get into all sorts of danger. It exists really to keep us safe from danger. Like you though I have high levels of anxiety that are disproportionate and detrimental to my everyday life and my functioning. 
    I’m really sorry that you’re struggling with this too - it’s a very difficult think to live with - and very often autistic people struggle with this more. However there are things you can do. There’s so much information available  online to help you tackle this. I think it’s useful that when you have an anxious thought you look at it analytically and ask yourself: what evidence do I have to support this thought? Look at the evidence objectively - and ideally speak to someone you trust and ask them for their view too - and think: do I really need to worry about this? Am I in any danger? If you’re not in any danger then you are quite safe and you don’t need to feel scared. Replace the unhelpful, anxious thought with a reassuring, comforting thought. In time - if you keep doing this - your threat response will reduce and you will start to feel less anxious. 

Children
No Data