Struggling with lack of acceptance

I'm 18 years old and I had my diagnosis of ASD a few years ago. It seems as though ever since my diagnosis my family does not wish to acknowledge it. They openly admit I'm autistic but expect me to behave normally, and they say I can't use autism as an excuse, and say "you're not that autistic" whenever I try and explain that the reason why I do certain things is because of my autism. They treat every action I do as an attack on them when I just want to be comfortable at home. They have made it so that at home I cannot be myself and have to mask. It tires me and has made it so that I can't remember not being depressed. I can handle bullying by my peers and people generally not understanding it. But I can't stand when due to my masking people, family included, say that I don't "seem autistic". I just want my family to understand.

I'm sorry for the mess of a post. It is my first time ever using a forum as they've always been too scary.

Parents
  • It's not a mess at all. You are very clear.

I am so sorry you are not getting family support and home is certainly the one place you should never have to mask.

Is there any possibility you could live away from them? It might be easier to raise their level of understanding from a distance.

• It's not a mess at all. You are very clear.

I am so sorry you are not getting family support and home is certainly the one place you should never have to mask.

Is there any possibility you could live away from them? It might be easier to raise their level of understanding from a distance.

Children
No Data