A different perspective

I've had people poking around in my head for decades and until very recently the consensus was that I have CPTSD.

I have a friend who has ADHD so I did a bit of research and saw a Youtube about autism in adults and had a huge omg moment.  Loads more research and lots of boxes ticked.  I'd like to ask my GP to refer me for assessment but I have some EMDR coming up and I really don't know if throwing autism into the equation would help or hinder. Yes I have cptsd and it needs fixing.  How does autism fit? The thing is my trauma defines who I am, how I think and communicate.. or so I thought.  Many of my peculiarities, dislikes and avoidances, that I previously attributed to trauma fit well with what I have learned about autism. 

Should I mention it? I'm trying to get something written down to take to my GP but it's not easy.  I know exactly what I want to say and would love to actually chat with someone about it.  Typing messes my head as I end up re-reading sentences over and over.

Any thoughts ?

Parents
  • The main benefit to my opinion of a diagnosis is coming to a better understanding of oneself, the other benefit I see is a diagnosis could encourage making adjustments to the environment for the person at school or work if employed, as a diagnosis will be evidence it is necessary. 

Whether autism hinders a person or not depends on the situation and how you look at autism. If enough thought is put into one's perception they can see autism traits are debilitating in some situations, but are of high value in other situations and tasks. 

Numerous great scientists are as talented as they are because of their autism traits. If we take less attracted to people and narrow interests. Now, most people will look at that negatively and say "Autism reduces their interaction," but reducing interaction buys time. Then with having fewer interests autistic people can learn all there is to know about their interest then because of that extra time bought by less interaction, the autistic person can go beyond what we believe and make new discoveries and perceptions. 

I wouldn't say your trauma defines you as a person, I would say it defines your experiences. 

• The main benefit to my opinion of a diagnosis is coming to a better understanding of oneself, the other benefit I see is a diagnosis could encourage making adjustments to the environment for the person at school or work if employed, as a diagnosis will be evidence it is necessary. 

Whether autism hinders a person or not depends on the situation and how you look at autism. If enough thought is put into one's perception they can see autism traits are debilitating in some situations, but are of high value in other situations and tasks. 

Numerous great scientists are as talented as they are because of their autism traits. If we take less attracted to people and narrow interests. Now, most people will look at that negatively and say "Autism reduces their interaction," but reducing interaction buys time. Then with having fewer interests autistic people can learn all there is to know about their interest then because of that extra time bought by less interaction, the autistic person can go beyond what we believe and make new discoveries and perceptions. 

I wouldn't say your trauma defines you as a person, I would say it defines your experiences. 

Children
No Data