Am i autistic?

Hi, 

I am a 29 year old women and have been looking at the possibility that im autistic for a couple of years now. My niece was recently diagnosed with ADHD and autism and during that time my family and myself noticed a lot of similarities between my niece and how i was at the same age. As we researched autism in girls more the symptoms seems to familiar to me that i was surprised i has never been diagnosed when i was young; i have been diagnosed with OCD and general anxiety disorder and have been in and out of therapy since about 8 years old. 

I have also taken a number of online autism test (unsure how accurate they are)  and they have came up with a high likely hood that i am autistic. I guess i  am just looking for advise on if i should pursue a diagnosis. Although i think i have a lot of the symptoms i am somewhat reluctant to seek this out because i would have thought if i was autistic it would have come up during my years in therapy? In autistic peoples experiences how often are you misdiagnosed or not diagnosed for whatever reasons? 

I know that if i went through the process it would be quite stressful for me, however, after seeing how well my niece is now doing with the proper support and understanding i think it could be a good thing for me.  

Please let me know if anyone has any experience of late diagnosis even after being in therapy and diagnosed with other things before.

Parents
  • Hi, 

7 years ago, I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD).  I received Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to help me manage my anxiety.  However, only 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and I am now in my mid-twenties.  So, for many years, I was struggling in life not knowing what was wrong with me.  I had been suffering the same pain as you and I feel for you.  Life can be very difficult sometimes.

You should pursue a diagnosis because, when I was having CBT for my anxiety, no one raised a concern that I might have autism.  It was only 2 years after my GAD diagnosis, after not being able to cope, I got myself assessed for autism.  I was then diagnosed with autism. 

Getting a diagnosis may seem daunting at first.  However, when you get a diagnosis, life becomes so much easier with proper support, trust me.  

Hope you understand that there are many people in your position.

• Hi, 

Thank you for your reply. It's reassuring to hear about people who have been through similar experiences. 

I found CBT for be somewhat helpful, however, very singular in its focus. Whenever i tried to bring anything up that wasn't necessarily related to my OCD or GAD then i was redirected quite quickly. 

I am seriously thinking about seeking a diagnosis, though i am worried about the number of questions that it will entail and how that will make me feel. Looking through the replies ive had on here and reading peoples own experiences, i can see how helpful proper support is. 

Thanks again. 

• Whenever i tried to bring anything up that wasn't necessarily related to my OCD or GAD then i was redirected quite quickly. 

I found this too. My ruminating thoughts didnt always feel like worry but it was always steered into that direction. I think CBT is effective some of the time but altho I understand everything I did and can CBT my way through a situation it often doesn't make much difference. Understanding how autism affects me and accepting things has made more difference, A diagnosis will give you some answers (and gives you permission to be yourself) but then I have found this needs further work in order to integrate it into your life. There seems to be little support for adults. 

• Thanks for your reply. 

Its good to hear from someone who has had CBT and feels the same way. I could never quite put my finger on why i never felt i was getting what i should out of my sessions, or why the tools I learnt couldn't be applied to situations where it seemed they should have been helpful. 

I think even if i wasn't to be diagnosed it would stop me wondering and then I could look into other things. 

• Thanks for your reply. 

Its good to hear from someone who has had CBT and feels the same way. I could never quite put my finger on why i never felt i was getting what i should out of my sessions, or why the tools I learnt couldn't be applied to situations where it seemed they should have been helpful. 

I think even if i wasn't to be diagnosed it would stop me wondering and then I could look into other things. 

Children
No Data