4 year old son - ASD & ADHD diagnosis

Hi everyone,

I was sons consultant recommended I join the NAS community. 

My 4 year old son has recently been diagnosed with ASD & ADHD. I am very lucky that his school has been proactive and the process of applying for a EHCP has already been started. 

Along with his final report/diagnosis, the consultant wrote a 'Not fit to queue' letter, advising that my son is unable to wait in line etc. 

I was wondering, in terms of support when we are out, si there is any type of card or ID that I can get to prove he has ASD/ADHD? Or do I need to carry around the final report (12 pages) and 'Not fit to queue' letter?

For example, he would love to go to the cinema, but hates loud noises/environments so has never been. I know some so SEN sessions but they ask for proof of SEN. How do I do this?

This is all very new to me and would really appreciate and advise in ways that we can get help / make life easier and get him experiencing new things.

Thanks so much! 

Parents
  • I don't think there is an easy answer. I think much depends on how enlightened different organisations are. You can download an 'I am autistic card' from this website and note with the queuing problem. 

Mine helps me in medical situations when my communication collapses. I show it and it does produce a bit of extra help from folks pre-disposed to get it. 

Services like cinemas should make reasonable adjustments, but much depends on them understanding what adjustments they need  to make. You could try calling ahead and speaking to the manager so that when you get there you are ushered through. They want your return business, right? Just as much as your lad deserves a cinema trip.

• Thank you so much for your reply Dawn. I think I will call our local cinema and speak to them. I feel terrible that he has never experienced it.

Reply Children
No Data