4 year old son - ASD & ADHD diagnosis

Hi everyone,

I was sons consultant recommended I join the NAS community. 

My 4 year old son has recently been diagnosed with ASD & ADHD. I am very lucky that his school has been proactive and the process of applying for a EHCP has already been started. 

Along with his final report/diagnosis, the consultant wrote a 'Not fit to queue' letter, advising that my son is unable to wait in line etc. 

I was wondering, in terms of support when we are out, si there is any type of card or ID that I can get to prove he has ASD/ADHD? Or do I need to carry around the final report (12 pages) and 'Not fit to queue' letter?

For example, he would love to go to the cinema, but hates loud noises/environments so has never been. I know some so SEN sessions but they ask for proof of SEN. How do I do this?

This is all very new to me and would really appreciate and advise in ways that we can get help / make life easier and get him experiencing new things.

Thanks so much! 

Parents
  • I wear ear plugs to the cinema. The decibel levels are too loud. You can also download a decibel reader and a frequency reader as an app. It will help identify the level / loudness of sound and then frequencies which are piercing (these are separate things, as a quiet high tone can cause just as much impact as a loud firework)

For children, you can find Ear Defenders, which are easier for them to wear. The main cinema here has a day designed for children, but they won't need proof if you bring your own shielding mechanisms. 

Blue light blocking glasses could help as well, you should be able to buy them at any opticians. 

• Thank you so much for your advice. I had no idea about decibel reader and a frequency readers. I will certainly download an app! 

We have tried ear defenders, he sometime tolerates them, sometimes doesn't. Although he is hugely effected by noise, he is also very sensitive to having things over his head/ears so it's a bit of a battle against the two! 

He did tolerate cotton wool in his ears recently, but obviously only muffled noises very slightly. I need to really look into if they do children's ear plugs!

• I use etymotic baby blues for smaller ears. They're specifically designed to block out certain frequencies, even though they look like other ear plugs, they're unique. https://www.audilo.co.uk/62-923-etyplugs-er20-ear-plugs-for-musicians-standard.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw6raYBhB7EiwABge5Kux7nhvoHG6aR6CGY1NHhOgtbRfOuukbGShkL1Sx18aPnLvEWa64thoCJbgQAvD_BwE#/colour-blue

They're made for musicians, but you could see if they work. If not for him, I'd keep them for yourself! The world is getting louder and specifically because people are walking around with earbuds in not paying attention. Sirens, for instance. I had a discussion with a train attendant who said this was the reason the voice over on trains was at an absurd volume. I emailed the company as I don't believe the rest of us should be punished for those failing to take notice of their stop. ;)

Reply Children
  • This is fantastic, thank you so much for sharing! 

I agree, I am sensitive to loud noises myself (not diagnosed with anything) so I would probably really appreciate these. I very rarely have the radio on in the car during my commute as this is my only time to enjoy there being no noise around me!