Help - Daughter privately diagnosed with Autism

Hi 

A few weeks ago my daughter, aged 14 was diagnosed with Autism. 

Problem is I had to go private to achieve this diagnosis as I wasn't getting of the help I needed from our GP and her school are not trained to deal with Autistic children and I was convinced there was something wrong. 

They used all the correct procedures to get the diagnosis and I am waiting on a report from them with the confirmation and everything they discovered through their assessments of my daughter.

Her life at school is either none existent as she refuses to go in (which now we know what we know, it isn't surprising) or if she goes in she has constant meltdowns and struggles tremendously.

Can anyone offer any advice to help her please? I am desperate as I am sure she needs to move schools, maybe to a special one but not sure what path to go down.

Parents
  • What problem do you have about going private? It makes no difference.

Regarding the school, they should have a SEN department. You should let them know what things might make school more bearable for your daughter. She may or may not need an EHCP.
    What does she struggle with? Noise?  Big classes? You’ll need to address everything to minimise stress at school. 
    My daughter was allowed to wear ear defenders, and had a card which allowed her to walk out of a lesson without question. She was allowed to wear trainers, which meant the walk into school was more bearable. She was allowed to sit and work in her own outside the class as and when she felt the need. Or to sit in the library to work, plus a few other things. All small things, but they helped tremendously.
    At home, she’ll need ways to calm herself and relax. Does she stim? Might she need some more sensory input? Or less?

If she refuses school,  don’t make a fuss of it. See if she’ll attend later. Better late than never. That’s what I aimed for with my daughter,

What makes you think she needs a special school? Is she non verbal?

She is at a delicate age, with increasing hormones. It’s tough for any teen, but she is now in high school, and is expected to fit in, know what to do, what to say, how to act, all while trying to mask her true self, live up to her peers, and manage her stressors. 

I trust someone else with better advice will pipe up shortly.

• What problem do you have about going private? It makes no difference.

Regarding the school, they should have a SEN department. You should let them know what things might make school more bearable for your daughter. She may or may not need an EHCP.
    What does she struggle with? Noise?  Big classes? You’ll need to address everything to minimise stress at school. 
    My daughter was allowed to wear ear defenders, and had a card which allowed her to walk out of a lesson without question. She was allowed to wear trainers, which meant the walk into school was more bearable. She was allowed to sit and work in her own outside the class as and when she felt the need. Or to sit in the library to work, plus a few other things. All small things, but they helped tremendously.
    At home, she’ll need ways to calm herself and relax. Does she stim? Might she need some more sensory input? Or less?

If she refuses school,  don’t make a fuss of it. See if she’ll attend later. Better late than never. That’s what I aimed for with my daughter,

What makes you think she needs a special school? Is she non verbal?

She is at a delicate age, with increasing hormones. It’s tough for any teen, but she is now in high school, and is expected to fit in, know what to do, what to say, how to act, all while trying to mask her true self, live up to her peers, and manage her stressors. 

I trust someone else with better advice will pipe up shortly.

Children
No Data