Think I have autism

Hi ~ I think I have autism but a late realisation on that -

How do I get diagnosed as it would help me to relate to family and others better I think - rather than them just thinking I’m weird - and then not making an effort to get along with me - 

im intelligent / in my 30s and female - so I’m quite aware of how things work -

but I recently went for a screening and the MH nurse just tried to put her stuff on me :/ even though I was honest and truthful - I do think I have it - I did have educational psychologists come to see me as a kid in  school as I acted up frustrated and trashing the place - and in high school they wanted to put me in special education classes but I refused because I am highly intelligent and thought that didn’t make any sense to me why I would need to do that - plus at the time social suicide ?! 

So there have been instances when people have noticed something - anyway - I’m female so I live and work and understand things - but I still do think I have autism - I don’t want to say why exactly here but -

could anyone advise me on the hurdles to diagnosis I may face as  an intelligent adult  female … I don’t want to go in there and battle I just want to be understood and cared for and that my family and friends might then make some slight effort to know me - rather than this avoidance which I don’t think is healthy I’m just a human being 

Parents
  • Hi, welcome.  Best way is go to your GP with a list of reasons and examples of why you feel you have autism, and why it would help.

Intelligence level is not relevant, these people are going to question you and observe you, they are going to spot things you might not be aware of, as you have said people you know have.

You might want to go right back to when you acted up at school, what was behind that, and what has happened since.

A diagnosis is not a golden ticket to acceptance and understanding by friends and family, it might happen to some but not all, its best to focus on what the diagnosis means for you.  You may be able to improve the situation once you are diagnosed and have a better idea of yourself, and maybe not blaming them when its likely difficulties on both sides.  You are an adult so can look elsewhere to be understood, and cared about, though cared for suggests you need looking after.

You say you are quite aware of how things work, but are you really aware of how you work?   Autistic people can lack awareness that needs others to point out, or by finding out the hard way as we go through life.  You may know of experiences that were painful, and likely due to being autistic and not aware enough, naive, or not thinking things through or well enough, or confused. 

• Thank you for the reply

yes it would mean something to me for sure I did explain this and why but this particular person wasn’t appropriate  they do exist 

Yes I do need extra care 

You are right people have pointed out to me in a nice way signs of things that suggest special needs and I’ve definitely learned things the hard way in lots of instances 

My ex used to say I didn’t look at what was going on around me and that it was dangerous 

• Everyone in my life basically says there’s something special ‘ and needs taking care of ‘ and talented but challenged ‘ etc … it would be nice to  know what and rather than a vague something 

Reply Children
No Data