Autism and EHCP

Hi my name is Carrie, I have a 9 year old son with autism and learning difficulties, along with a 3 year old daughter and autism and speech delay. I have just gone through the process of applying for an EHC Plan for the first time with my son and have just found out that he has been awarded it. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what sort of things should be included in it, what it should cover, do I get a say on what is included in it and anything else that might be helpful to know. Thanks 

• You get to discuss it with school SENCO and also input from representative from local authority. My son's first one included suggestions from the Educational Psychologist. 

It could include things like breaks during lessons or a way of saying they need to go somewhere quiet, for example a card. It may include checking your child understands instructions or keeping them simple. It could be allowing him to have a fiddle toy. It depends on the child and specific things they struggle with. It could be explaining before if there will be a supply teacher or preparation that might be needed for a school trip. If he is in mainstream school this can be even more important as he gets older and has more changes in staff. 

Each year you then have a review meeting with school to discuss any changes that might be needed.