Autism and Ageing.

I am fifty-six so I am now involved with the Autism and Ageing Campaign the National Autistic Society is doing.

I mentioned this campaign on the World Autism Support Network and got a reply from someone involved.

The right place is to discuss it in this Community.

There is not a space for campaigns so I was not sure where to mention this campaign.

It is important for people to realise that children do not grow out of their Autism.

If we live to a hundred we will still be Autistic.

That is why it is important for Doctors and Nurses and other people who work in the National Health Service are aware of Autism.

David

Parents
  • Is there a way we can enter Network Autism just to see what is being discussed, ie as "guests".

I can enter this community without signing in. It just means I can only read postings while a "guest", I cannot write postings until I sign in. The other day there was just me signed in but 145 guests.

Therefore I assume professionals are able to enter this community to read what is posted. Indeed I do feel a bit like we are in a laboratory - being watched - but not knowing what the watcher's think.

However the professional forum Network Autism is only accessible to those signed in. There doesn't seem to be a facility for "guests" simply to observe discussion.

Being able to observe these discussions would help us (people on the spectrum, parents and carers of people on the spectrum) to view the sorts of things professionals are discussing. We might be better informed and better able to discuss our issues if we were better up to date with what professionals talk about.

Why are things so one-sided?  Is it not considered beneficial for this community to know what the professionals are saying?  Are they discussing things they've observed on here as guests, that they don't want us to find out about?

• Is there a way we can enter Network Autism just to see what is being discussed, ie as "guests".

I can enter this community without signing in. It just means I can only read postings while a "guest", I cannot write postings until I sign in. The other day there was just me signed in but 145 guests.

Therefore I assume professionals are able to enter this community to read what is posted. Indeed I do feel a bit like we are in a laboratory - being watched - but not knowing what the watcher's think.

However the professional forum Network Autism is only accessible to those signed in. There doesn't seem to be a facility for "guests" simply to observe discussion.

Being able to observe these discussions would help us (people on the spectrum, parents and carers of people on the spectrum) to view the sorts of things professionals are discussing. We might be better informed and better able to discuss our issues if we were better up to date with what professionals talk about.

Why are things so one-sided?  Is it not considered beneficial for this community to know what the professionals are saying?  Are they discussing things they've observed on here as guests, that they don't want us to find out about?

Children
No Data