Autism and Ageing.

I am fifty-six so I am now involved with the Autism and Ageing Campaign the National Autistic Society is doing.

I mentioned this campaign on the World Autism Support Network and got a reply from someone involved.

The right place is to discuss it in this Community.

There is not a space for campaigns so I was not sure where to mention this campaign.

It is important for people to realise that children do not grow out of their Autism.

If we live to a hundred we will still be Autistic.

That is why it is important for Doctors and Nurses and other people who work in the National Health Service are aware of Autism.

David

Parents
  • Hi there,

I drew this conversation to my colleagues' attention, and here is what one of them said in response:

Part of the work being done for the July Theme on Ageing is to re-name the Autism in Maturity pages, so they will be called Autism and Ageing. We will continue use the word "Ageing" because this is the way most people will search for it. they may also use "later life" "mature" "older" or any number of other search terms, but "ageing" is the term used in the project, by professionals and by most members of the public, including those with autism.

The Autism and Ageing project does not concentrate solely on people diagnosed in childhood - we say that those people are getting older now, as that is a fact. But they are not the only adults with autism: as most of our Real Life Stories demonstrate, we include people with a diagnosis in adulthood. 

When we asked for people to come forward as campaigners, we asked for people over 50. We would welcome people in their 60, 70s and older, but none have volunteered. if anyone wants to, it would be great. One of our Life stories is of a man in his 70s. Some are of people in their 40s - the emphasis is on being an older adult, rather than a youngster.

Network Autism is for professionals or people who have an interest in discussing research and best practise, so tends to concentrate on evidential material. Some professionals are also on the spectrum. If people have queries or are having technical difficulties, there is a link to the Network Autism Manager who should be able to help.

I know this doesn't answer everything, but I hope it's a useful contribution to the dicussion.

Regards,

Alex R
  • Hi there,

I drew this conversation to my colleagues' attention, and here is what one of them said in response:

Part of the work being done for the July Theme on Ageing is to re-name the Autism in Maturity pages, so they will be called Autism and Ageing. We will continue use the word "Ageing" because this is the way most people will search for it. they may also use "later life" "mature" "older" or any number of other search terms, but "ageing" is the term used in the project, by professionals and by most members of the public, including those with autism.

The Autism and Ageing project does not concentrate solely on people diagnosed in childhood - we say that those people are getting older now, as that is a fact. But they are not the only adults with autism: as most of our Real Life Stories demonstrate, we include people with a diagnosis in adulthood. 

When we asked for people to come forward as campaigners, we asked for people over 50. We would welcome people in their 60, 70s and older, but none have volunteered. if anyone wants to, it would be great. One of our Life stories is of a man in his 70s. Some are of people in their 40s - the emphasis is on being an older adult, rather than a youngster.

Network Autism is for professionals or people who have an interest in discussing research and best practise, so tends to concentrate on evidential material. Some professionals are also on the spectrum. If people have queries or are having technical difficulties, there is a link to the Network Autism Manager who should be able to help.

I know this doesn't answer everything, but I hope it's a useful contribution to the dicussion.

Regards,

Alex R
Children
No Data