Autism and Ageing.

I am fifty-six so I am now involved with the Autism and Ageing Campaign the National Autistic Society is doing.

I mentioned this campaign on the World Autism Support Network and got a reply from someone involved.

The right place is to discuss it in this Community.

There is not a space for campaigns so I was not sure where to mention this campaign.

It is important for people to realise that children do not grow out of their Autism.

If we live to a hundred we will still be Autistic.

That is why it is important for Doctors and Nurses and other people who work in the National Health Service are aware of Autism.

David

Parents
  • The question - whether you call it "ageing" or simply later life, is crucially important.

The proportion of the population that is retired is growing, partly due to greater longevity, and partly due to demographic changes, such as the baby boom of the 50s increasing disproportionately the numbers now over 50.

In all other disabilities this subject is under discussion. There are extensive studies for example on sexuality and ageing. While some people might feel sensitive about using the term "ageing" here, I think the key point is the need to address what happens to people in their 60s, 70s 80s and 90s if they are on the spectrum. And if we quibble we'll lose out on important research.

Amongst the obvious considerations is Parkinson's Disease, apparently there's a predisposition to this in the autistic population.

Then there is the issue of retirement homes. If you have sensitivities and social difficulties, or have special interests that need your own space and resources, how will you cope with just a little bedroom as private space, with everything else shared and communal?

How would you cope with institutional food?  A lot of old folks' homes use medications to keep ther "inmates" nicely subdued, but some of these medications may be adverse for people on the spectrum. If they are still not recognising adult autism, how do you get excused from taking medication that makes you worse.

While significant diagnoses of asperger's syndrome in childhood is only in the last thirty years, the ageing question will in due course become an issue, so lets get it discussed now.

So please let's not worry about the term "ageing". Lets concentrate on the possible implications and get some discussion out in the open.

• The question - whether you call it "ageing" or simply later life, is crucially important.

The proportion of the population that is retired is growing, partly due to greater longevity, and partly due to demographic changes, such as the baby boom of the 50s increasing disproportionately the numbers now over 50.

In all other disabilities this subject is under discussion. There are extensive studies for example on sexuality and ageing. While some people might feel sensitive about using the term "ageing" here, I think the key point is the need to address what happens to people in their 60s, 70s 80s and 90s if they are on the spectrum. And if we quibble we'll lose out on important research.

Amongst the obvious considerations is Parkinson's Disease, apparently there's a predisposition to this in the autistic population.

Then there is the issue of retirement homes. If you have sensitivities and social difficulties, or have special interests that need your own space and resources, how will you cope with just a little bedroom as private space, with everything else shared and communal?

How would you cope with institutional food?  A lot of old folks' homes use medications to keep ther "inmates" nicely subdued, but some of these medications may be adverse for people on the spectrum. If they are still not recognising adult autism, how do you get excused from taking medication that makes you worse.

While significant diagnoses of asperger's syndrome in childhood is only in the last thirty years, the ageing question will in due course become an issue, so lets get it discussed now.

So please let's not worry about the term "ageing". Lets concentrate on the possible implications and get some discussion out in the open.

Children
No Data