Newbie!!

Hi everyone.

I have a 10 year old with ASD and DCD. We are hoping to get a private dyslexia assessment soon. We have an EHCP in place, but things have been deteriorating at school since Jan this year. Refusal to go to school is becoming more frequent now and mornings are awful tbh! I think that his school are struggling with managing him now. We have early help involved again, but as usual, getting help from CAMHS takes forever! I thought things would improve with the EHCP in place, but quite the opposite is happening.  Does anyone have any advice on encouraging your child to go to school?! School aren't being particularly helpful with this. TIA,  Sarah.

Parents
  • Hi Sarah. I understand how you feel.  I have a 9 year old we have had lots of problems getting into school in the mornings, since January coincidentally, and especially after holidays after being off. We tried scootering to school which worked getting there, school offered the chance to go through Thrive where they can calm down and chat to staff and maybe draw or colour for a little time before going into lessons. Ask if your school has this available.  Can your young person take fidgets into class with them. If they can choose one each day to take with them it may help. You may have already tried these ideas. Good luck

• Hi Sarah. I understand how you feel.  I have a 9 year old we have had lots of problems getting into school in the mornings, since January coincidentally, and especially after holidays after being off. We tried scootering to school which worked getting there, school offered the chance to go through Thrive where they can calm down and chat to staff and maybe draw or colour for a little time before going into lessons. Ask if your school has this available.  Can your young person take fidgets into class with them. If they can choose one each day to take with them it may help. You may have already tried these ideas. Good luck

Children
No Data