Am I autistic?

(before I start I’ll say that you’ll have to excuse my typing, I’m no good with punctuation but I understand a lot just never been good with structuring sentences or paragraphs) also just wanted to add in I’m not trying to offend anyone, like I said further down, I don’t really know enough about being autistic and what autism is, I’m just telling you what others have pointed out and attributed to me being autistic 

Hey everyone, I’m Michael 

I’ve always thought differently to others around me, like I’ll say something that’s completely normal to me and makes perfect sense but always get this bewildered look off the people around me, I go into way to much detail to the point it kills the conversation, I’m set in my ways (I can see other peoples point of view but it will take someone with a really good point I can’t argue with to make me agree) and have morals and beliefs that I will stand and die for (I want to make sure I’m a good husband so if my wife says I need to work on something I will try to put my all into it), i function based on logic alone and most jokes go way over my head, I struggle to function mentally (to the point it seems like I’m an idiot) when under pressure, someone will ask me to do something but I’ve got a million things going on in my head and I’m worried I’ll mess it up and that makes me mess up the task, I don’t know what else to say, I haven’t  done much research on autism and I think I’m kind of in denial, my sister and my wife think I am and other people around me, I have 2 amazing nieces and both of them are, I don’t get overwhelmed by noises and other triggers, idk I guess I’m just looking for advice if possible, I can tell you more but you’d have to ask, I don’t really know what you would be looking for

thanks everyone for the help and just reading this really, I appreciate it Slight smile

• Score over about 20

you get that when you are neurotypical math oriented nerd 

I saw statical analysis of scores children around 15 years old scored, and that was sticking out oddity

but you sound like you will get over 32

• Oh, far from alone. 

I know what you mean about the special treatment thing. I had a diagnosis of dyslexia in my teens, yet never had or asked for concessions in exams etc. I kinda needed to know I could do it like everyone else. And I did, and my achievements are all the more meaningful to me for it.

But, I do also realise that there are times when some things are just harder than they need to be or impossible without an adjustment to too. I have Irlen's along with my dyslexia. Why put up with dancing text on my computer screen if my employer will pay for a prescription tint on my glasses to stabilise that for me.

Same with my autism. I was diagnosed at 56 and am suddenly aware how much I have accomplished despite the barriers, or even because of it's gifts. But there are little work things that are harder for me.

Getting a diagnosis is a very personal decision, but I would say that just because you've got one, it remains your decision as to when and to whom you disclose that. Your employer doesn't have to know. On the other hand, it can protect you when you really need it. I NEED general medical people to know, or they can't treat me. My employer I've told because I trust them. Does my next line manager have know? Only if I want them to know.

These days it's less about "special treatment" for me, than just being recognised for who I am; a hand if I need it, and letting others make use of my talent where I can do more than.

• Thanks for replying, I’ve just done one of those tests and scored 35, I’ll definitely look into the meltdown/shutdowns, I’m not sure if I’d want to get a formal diagnosis, I don’t like getting special treatment, my sister says she thinks I should so my boss can’t just fire me over  things I can’t control I don’t know, I’ll have to look into it, thanks for replying though, it’s nice to know I’m not alone in this :)

• Thanks for replying, Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been at work all day, I originally posted it last night just before bed, I

’d say I feel like I am, Based on on what you said I’d say a good 90 percent of that applies to me, I didn’t realise hating tags was a trait (I’ve ripped off every tag I’ve ever had, especially on T-shirts/underwear), when I like a song I can listen to it for ten hours straight before I wanna listen to something different, I’m going to do more research over the weekend and thanks again for replying, I really appreciate it :)

• Hmmm, sounds like autistic thinking to me...

The sensory stuff most of us have in some regard or other, but it's not a compulsory criteria and it might not affect all of your senses.

I'd have a good poke around this website. See if any of the descriptions of childhood indicators or meltdowns/shut downs and all that stuff apply to you - not all of them will, but if a lot of them do...I'd also look on line for an AQ 50 questionnaire. Score over about 20 and you've certainly got traits, score over about 32 and you are highly likely to be one of us.

Then, if you think you are, your next decision would be, do you want to just self identify (that's cool, you can still find lots of ways to help yourself), or do you want to go for a formal diagnosis?

Got questions, ask us. I learned so much from this forum. And yes, neurodivergence of any kind in your wider family (autism, ADHD, ADD, dyslexia, dyspraxia etc) will augment the likelihood of you being on the Spectrum.

• Do you feel like you might be Autistic? If so, start analysing yourself. What is usual for you is not what is usual for the next Autistic person, since we’re all different. What we would share is a tendency for repetitive behaviours, special interests and problems with social communication. It’s typical to have sensory issues too, and other co-morbid conditions like Dyslexia, ADHD, dyspraxia etc.

General things could be being blunt, not getting jokes, taking things literally, having a favourite cup or plate, not liking a certain texture or foodstuff, not knowing how you feel exactly, having detailed knowledge of any subject that interest you, watching the same film and never tiring of it, stimming behaviours, mental health problems, depression, anxiety, overthinking everything, getting tired after social events, not knowing how to do small talk, copying things people say to use again, hating labels in clothes, head is always busy, procrastination over boring tasks, need a lot of downtime, can’t answer simple questions, or struggle with completing a set of simple instructions, dislike of change, like routines or organising, overhearing, talk too much or too little, too quiet it too loud, good sense of smell or hearing, usually creative….I could go on!

I researched a lot about myself when I realised I was probably Autistic. I didn’t want it to believe it, so decided to look at every aspect of my life to disprove things, however, the deeper I got, the more I could see the symptoms staring me in the face. 
    I made a heading for things like food, routines, sensory, interests, health problems, social problems to start with. 
    I would suggest you remove any preconceived ideas of what traits you think you should have before you start.