Hello from Ireland

Hi, everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with ASD after years of thinking I was just strange almost alien on this world. It's nice to know that how I am is normal and that there are others the same as me. Not that I want others to struggle, I don't mean that I just mean it's nice to not be in it on your own. 

For me I suppose the hardest part is being isolated and the anxiety because of anxiety disorder. I spend all my time alone. I have sensory struggles in lots of things and that includes sound and people's voices so I avoid people but that adds to the loneliness. I suck with people anyway though so I guess I'd still be on my own anyway.

I'm struggling with the anxiety disorder at the moment. I'm anxious and scared all the time but I don't really know what of. It's weird. It's like everything triggers it and I don't know how to stop it. I work in a library which is great for my ASD, was full time but I'm only part time now because of the anxiety. It's a great job as people don't talk much and if they do they are quiet which is perfect for me. 

I'm from Ireland. I also enjoy light music and drawing. 

Parents
  • Hi Verity, welcome aboard. Hope you find the forum a a warm and friendly place, as I have done.

I'm on the island as well, and also work in a library. Like you, I feel a lot of gratitude at having found the optimum workplace niche/environment to best offset the amount of anxiety I have to struggle with every day. I can think of very few other ones that would support my needs so well, and even then some days are better than other. 

Joining here is no doubt a very positive move for you. A way to be meaningfully sociable and supported but at one remove from some of the triggers that would make that difficult in person. 

I like your user-name: as a Doctor Who fan that one has a special place in my heart. 

• Hi Verity, welcome aboard. Hope you find the forum a a warm and friendly place, as I have done.

I'm on the island as well, and also work in a library. Like you, I feel a lot of gratitude at having found the optimum workplace niche/environment to best offset the amount of anxiety I have to struggle with every day. I can think of very few other ones that would support my needs so well, and even then some days are better than other. 

Joining here is no doubt a very positive move for you. A way to be meaningfully sociable and supported but at one remove from some of the triggers that would make that difficult in person. 

I like your user-name: as a Doctor Who fan that one has a special place in my heart. 

Children
  • Hi Shardovan, thanks, I was at work yesterday and needed time to recover after but I'm hoping to spend a lot more time here today Slight smile

Omg wow it really is a small world. I feel the exact same with where I'm working as well. Every day isn't perfect but when it is a good day it's the ideal place for me. I love it. Sounds like it's the same for you. I was working longer hours but can't cope at the moment so just doing part time for now. Still enjoy it though.

That's why I wanted to join, can't quite manage that in person. But in online it's a bit easier to do. 

Thank you! I love it as well. I'm forever using Doctor Who for my usernames everywhere I go Slight smile