New member feeling lonely and overwhelmed

Hi. I'm 47 and fairly recently diagnosed as autistic. I live with my husband and adult children who are also autistic and have their own support issues. 

I'm coping with a long term chronic illness since having covid early in 2020 and now find it really hard to regulate my emotions, and manage other triggers due to my chronic fatigue. Things I've probably masked or managed well all my life are now incredibly difficult to cope with.

I'm also feeling very lonely. I isolate myself and seem to have trouble maintaining friendships and even at my age it hurts. 

It's alot. Im overwhelmed by it all, and have been on a waiting list for intensive MH support for 38 weeks

Parents
  • Hi, sorry to hear you are feeling lonely and isolated. It sounds as if you have been through quite a lot over the past few months both physically and mentally so no wonder it's taken it out of you. It is a complete nightmare getting MH support just now which is very frustrating. 

I was lucky enough to be able to afford some private therapy for my anxiety which was horrendous at the end of last year - I hate to think what I'd be like now without that (I'd still be on a waiting list too I expect).

I'm 52, currently self diagnosed as on the spectrum (still working out what it means for me) and despite being married have no real friends and am quite often lonely despite also enjoying my own company. It's an inner conflict for me - needing contact with people and yet finding them unpredictable, confusing and annoying at times!

Just know you are not alone.

• Hi, sorry to hear you are feeling lonely and isolated. It sounds as if you have been through quite a lot over the past few months both physically and mentally so no wonder it's taken it out of you. It is a complete nightmare getting MH support just now which is very frustrating. 

I was lucky enough to be able to afford some private therapy for my anxiety which was horrendous at the end of last year - I hate to think what I'd be like now without that (I'd still be on a waiting list too I expect).

I'm 52, currently self diagnosed as on the spectrum (still working out what it means for me) and despite being married have no real friends and am quite often lonely despite also enjoying my own company. It's an inner conflict for me - needing contact with people and yet finding them unpredictable, confusing and annoying at times!

Just know you are not alone.

Children
No Data