Diagnosis in later adulthood

Hello everyone, not sure where to start or how I feel at the minute. I'm a 70 year old female who very recently, after reading a novel where the main character had autism and in who I completely identified with, I did some research and took a number of autism on line tests. All said I  was on the spectrum. Today contacted GP to chat over. Following discussions it was concluded I am autistic. On one hand feel relieved,  explains huge amount about past history but now very confused. No advice given on help etc just told no treatment.

Confusion because don't know how to use this information. Will people think this is an excuse, will they think this is a cop out? My biggest symptom is communication,  I  try to explain things but only end up upsetting people. I get really upset when this happens because very few ask me to explain, or give reasons for what I've said, everyone assumes I'm a bad person. 

Any advice on moving forward please. Many thanks 

Parents
  • I'm in my late 40's and found out not too long ago. I started reading all matters of psychoanalysis and philosophy to figure out what was happening! I wouldn't have put the pieces together without my cousin and son being dyslexic and finding out about those being on this 'Spectrum'. 

I can say I've found ways around communication from Sociology and Theology and ethics. Years ago just recognising that most tend to have a cognitive bias and this presumption (everyone relates with them) I would start using phrases like "my telepathy skills are wanting" or I wish I could read your mind, but I'm having trouble. Rules of using a bit of humour for difficult situations have helped, I tend to have a small go-to of specific phrasings and since everyone likes phantasy and magic, references to these make navigating social vagueness a little better. But by no means am I nailing it...

There are some ground rules for exchange which, if everyone adhered to, would make life easier for all of us. They were values 50 years ago, but things like thoughtfulness and respect and patience and matters of affording dignity and kindness aren't great sales techniques in a consumer based society. 

Erich Fromm is always a good read. And there's many more like him. I'm not sure if you're on Twitter, but the #AcutallyAutistic community there can be helpful. 

There was a chap on here who passed away over the last year and would always recommend just joining a group of an interest - philosophy, knitting, woodworking, etc. I find a little more ease with creative technicians who I've spent time getting to know and investing in a little. From what I've read, we don't mature the same as NeuroTypical individuals due to language issues. So, for me, growing as a person with principles is a conscious engagement. 

• I'm in my late 40's and found out not too long ago. I started reading all matters of psychoanalysis and philosophy to figure out what was happening! I wouldn't have put the pieces together without my cousin and son being dyslexic and finding out about those being on this 'Spectrum'. 

I can say I've found ways around communication from Sociology and Theology and ethics. Years ago just recognising that most tend to have a cognitive bias and this presumption (everyone relates with them) I would start using phrases like "my telepathy skills are wanting" or I wish I could read your mind, but I'm having trouble. Rules of using a bit of humour for difficult situations have helped, I tend to have a small go-to of specific phrasings and since everyone likes phantasy and magic, references to these make navigating social vagueness a little better. But by no means am I nailing it...

There are some ground rules for exchange which, if everyone adhered to, would make life easier for all of us. They were values 50 years ago, but things like thoughtfulness and respect and patience and matters of affording dignity and kindness aren't great sales techniques in a consumer based society. 

Erich Fromm is always a good read. And there's many more like him. I'm not sure if you're on Twitter, but the #AcutallyAutistic community there can be helpful. 

There was a chap on here who passed away over the last year and would always recommend just joining a group of an interest - philosophy, knitting, woodworking, etc. I find a little more ease with creative technicians who I've spent time getting to know and investing in a little. From what I've read, we don't mature the same as NeuroTypical individuals due to language issues. So, for me, growing as a person with principles is a conscious engagement. 

Children
No Data