Diagnosis in later adulthood

Hello everyone, not sure where to start or how I feel at the minute. I'm a 70 year old female who very recently, after reading a novel where the main character had autism and in who I completely identified with, I did some research and took a number of autism on line tests. All said I  was on the spectrum. Today contacted GP to chat over. Following discussions it was concluded I am autistic. On one hand feel relieved,  explains huge amount about past history but now very confused. No advice given on help etc just told no treatment.

Confusion because don't know how to use this information. Will people think this is an excuse, will they think this is a cop out? My biggest symptom is communication,  I  try to explain things but only end up upsetting people. I get really upset when this happens because very few ask me to explain, or give reasons for what I've said, everyone assumes I'm a bad person. 

Any advice on moving forward please. Many thanks 

Parents
  • Hi, welcome to the group. The realisation of autism is a very big ‘light bulb moment’. Glad you had a chat with your GP.  Im not sure if your doctor has given a diagnosis of autism? Please don’t think I’m trying to discredit the help you have been given. To get a diagnosis of asd is quite a long process taking normally multiple interviews and tests. Did the doctor maybe say that he or she would refer you for a diagnosis? 

• Unfortunately no, but I think I've found I can do a self referral and have emailed asking for form. I  have never been one for labelling but I do feel I've had that "light bulb moment" and so much becomes clearer. Just really not sure on what to do with info. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

• sorry if I sounded dismissive, I wasn’t trying to be. I’m 54 and going through diagnosis at the moment. Unfortunately going down the nhs route  has about a two year waiting list. It is quite valid to self diagnose, if you do decide to go down the diagnosis route,  I would suggest to start using the time to start exploring all the things in life that have made you realise that you are most probably autistic. I’m not an expert on female presentation, have a look on YouTube at late female autism diagnosis. Obviously not my realm but I’ve watched a lot of videos about how women mask in life which is very different to how most men mask.  It is a big shock to finally realise why you have always felt different. There are a lot of more knowledge people on here who can most probably explain more than me. Good luck with your journey.

• sorry if I sounded dismissive, I wasn’t trying to be. I’m 54 and going through diagnosis at the moment. Unfortunately going down the nhs route  has about a two year waiting list. It is quite valid to self diagnose, if you do decide to go down the diagnosis route,  I would suggest to start using the time to start exploring all the things in life that have made you realise that you are most probably autistic. I’m not an expert on female presentation, have a look on YouTube at late female autism diagnosis. Obviously not my realm but I’ve watched a lot of videos about how women mask in life which is very different to how most men mask.  It is a big shock to finally realise why you have always felt different. There are a lot of more knowledge people on here who can most probably explain more than me. Good luck with your journey.

Children
No Data