51 yr old - do I have autistic traits?

Hello, everyone.  I did not expect to find myself here this evening, though I have had the thought before that I may be in some ways autistic.  I do have social phobias - though I've learnt to manage these - I do have intense personal interests, which can over-dominate life!  I can come across as blunt and rude.  I am a bit obsessive about categorising things I care about (my own writing) though I'm naturally pretty disorganised in real life!  ... And I'm not totally sure how pursuing a medical diagnosis at my age could benefit me.  Although I am on some medication for depression and anxiety, and have just started counselling again, so maybe that's a silly thing to think!  Are there any adults out there who have been through this  - seeing some symptoms, not sure what to do, not sure if it's worth it?  

Parents
  • Hi.  I was diagnosed at 42, but had childhood issues that today probably would have result in an assessment for autism - but it was different times, many of elder autistic folk have similar stories of missed childhood diagnosis.

Diagnosis for autism as an adult may not seem beneficial, and indeed doesn't usually unlock any support unless you qualify for  social services involvement.  It goes on your GP record, and that may be useful in the future even if not now.  The real value of a diagnosis is more personal, much more than a label - it help you accept yourself, and if you've had any trauma in life related to your difficulties then start the healing process.

Worth taking the time and exploring yourself, and read about autism and things that autistic people write about - google for autistic blogs, writers, or advocates, there are many.  Google Pete Wharmby, he has a website and youtube channel - he is great at explaining autistic things.  Autistic people vary so the more you read about the better, things should jump out if you recognise them in you.

• No trouble, and I agree that counselling may not help unless you have non-autistic issues that you need to discuss.  Autistic counsellors or therapists are out there though not many and may not be easily accessible if far from you.

DIscussing things here or with autistic people on social media and other places will be more useful, and reassuring.

• No trouble, and I agree that counselling may not help unless you have non-autistic issues that you need to discuss.  Autistic counsellors or therapists are out there though not many and may not be easily accessible if far from you.

DIscussing things here or with autistic people on social media and other places will be more useful, and reassuring.

Children
No Data