51 yr old - do I have autistic traits?

Hello, everyone.  I did not expect to find myself here this evening, though I have had the thought before that I may be in some ways autistic.  I do have social phobias - though I've learnt to manage these - I do have intense personal interests, which can over-dominate life!  I can come across as blunt and rude.  I am a bit obsessive about categorising things I care about (my own writing) though I'm naturally pretty disorganised in real life!  ... And I'm not totally sure how pursuing a medical diagnosis at my age could benefit me.  Although I am on some medication for depression and anxiety, and have just started counselling again, so maybe that's a silly thing to think!  Are there any adults out there who have been through this  - seeing some symptoms, not sure what to do, not sure if it's worth it?  

Parents
  • Yup - it may be easier just to assume you are autistic (many of the things you describe make that likely). And then act accordingly - like recognise and interpret what the stressors are accordingly. What it can, of course, mean that your version of depression and anxiety isn't inherent/chemical etc. but is an entirely natural reaction to being autistic and living in a world that's not designed to suit you.

• Yup - it may be easier just to assume you are autistic (many of the things you describe make that likely). And then act accordingly - like recognise and interpret what the stressors are accordingly. What it can, of course, mean that your version of depression and anxiety isn't inherent/chemical etc. but is an entirely natural reaction to being autistic and living in a world that's not designed to suit you.

Children
No Data