Mother of a 23yr old Autistic Adult

I am desperate for help, currently awaiting a visit for Social Services Adult Assessment .  My lovely gentle son has got himself into bother with the police and we are devastated.

he has lost his little job and it seems like he has not been coping with his finances (lives at home) but has no money left. He has no friends , I’m heartbroken, perhaps I should have seen the warning signs.

can anyone suggest anything? Thank you

Parents
  • Hi.

I am in a similar situation with my son.  He has also been in trouble with police and will be attending court soon.

He is also going to be threatened with becoming homeless as he has refused to live with us.

I am at my Witt's end.

He has some interaction from social services but they have been of little help.BeeBee

• Hi,

it’s just so very hard especially when other close family members do not understand the complexities of autism!

to be honest I’m not sure that I even did until this particularly traumatic event has brought everything to a head. I feel like he’s just been diagnosed all over again (he was only diagnosed at 19yrs). He’s always had developmental issues and speech and language difficulties but the knowledge of autism wasn’t as clear 20 years ago.  After a really difficult time at school and managing to get a little job I naively thought he was coping with life - well unfortunately not !

We have now moved on a bit and the police will have to do their bit but at least social Services are helping.

I feel like I’ve been through a wringer .  I really understand your stress in a really difficult situation- have you had much support from friends and family?

• I have zero support from family they have never understood it as it's an invisible dissability.  

He has some input from social services but I feel they have failed him and he has slipped through the net.

He doesn't except his diagnosis and can easily fool people into thinking he is more able than he is.  I feel many social workers are not trained in Autism enouh to spot these signs

• Yes. I worry so much about my son too - he’s very weighed down at the moment by all his worries and years of struggles at school and college have really damaged his self-esteem. He’s a wonderful person and deserves to be happy and to have a fulfilling life. Because he’s feeling  depressed at the moment he isn’t feeling very motivated to do very much - so spends a lot of time on his IPad or watching tv. We do love to go out walking in the countryside though - we do that a lot and he really enjoys that. Sometimes very long walks - several miles. He likes to explore wild places and follow footpaths etc - seeing all the different birds etc. 

The problem is though that when we come back all his worries seem to come back to him. Neither of us are coping very well at the moment to be honest (I’m autistic too and struggle with anxiety). 
    We are doing our best though. Hopefully we can work on our problems - but there’s so little support.

• Thank you Kate,  I just worry so much about his narrow world and sense of isolation. Although I’ve got to say it doesn’t seem to bother him like it does me.  What does your son do to occupy himself ?  
    it’s such a worry x

Reply Children
  • Yes. I worry so much about my son too - he’s very weighed down at the moment by all his worries and years of struggles at school and college have really damaged his self-esteem. He’s a wonderful person and deserves to be happy and to have a fulfilling life. Because he’s feeling  depressed at the moment he isn’t feeling very motivated to do very much - so spends a lot of time on his IPad or watching tv. We do love to go out walking in the countryside though - we do that a lot and he really enjoys that. Sometimes very long walks - several miles. He likes to explore wild places and follow footpaths etc - seeing all the different birds etc. 

The problem is though that when we come back all his worries seem to come back to him. Neither of us are coping very well at the moment to be honest (I’m autistic too and struggle with anxiety). 
    We are doing our best though. Hopefully we can work on our problems - but there’s so little support.