Fear of medication

Does anyone else on here freak out if they are prescribed medication by a doctor? I’ve had a couple of bad experiences in the past with side effects from medication and Now I almost have a phobia about any medication and possible side effects. Does anyone else have this? 

Parents
  • Yes I'm the same. Mind goes into overdrive and I get extremely anxious and in a panic. In the last two years I've had lots of medication from doctors, started with sertraline and now they've got me on olanzapine but that's not working especially well so I dread what they'll try me on next :( hate it so much. I was a lot better before they started giving me different medication all the time. But when I tell them how bad it affects me they don't listen it's so frustrating.

• I’m sorry - I would be very anxious in that situation too. They really SHOULD listen if you are having problems with side effects - that’s their job after all! 
    I don’t think they always acknowledge that if your mental health is already that a bunch of really scary side effects from medication is an extremely challenging thing to cope with - and they should be understanding and sympathetic about that (and act on it). 
    sending best wishes to you Paige - I hope you can find a medication that works well for you, or can find other ways to feel better :) 

• I’m sorry - I would be very anxious in that situation too. They really SHOULD listen if you are having problems with side effects - that’s their job after all! 
    I don’t think they always acknowledge that if your mental health is already that a bunch of really scary side effects from medication is an extremely challenging thing to cope with - and they should be understanding and sympathetic about that (and act on it). 
    sending best wishes to you Paige - I hope you can find a medication that works well for you, or can find other ways to feel better :) 

Children
No Data