Fear of medication

Does anyone else on here freak out if they are prescribed medication by a doctor? I’ve had a couple of bad experiences in the past with side effects from medication and Now I almost have a phobia about any medication and possible side effects. Does anyone else have this? 

Parents
  • Autistic people can be sensitive to medication, or may experience it differently to how it is meant to work.

I've had difficulty with different medications, either anti-depressants or low-dose anti-psychotics that autistic people tend to be given to help with thoughts/moods.  Usually made me too drowsy and/or more withdrawn, it took a long time to find something that worked without too much negative effects. 

• Autistic people can be sensitive to medication, or may experience it differently to how it is meant to work.

I've had difficulty with different medications, either anti-depressants or low-dose anti-psychotics that autistic people tend to be given to help with thoughts/moods.  Usually made me too drowsy and/or more withdrawn, it took a long time to find something that worked without too much negative effects. 

Children
  • Please don't feel like you have to answer, but out of interest, what medication did you find worked in the end? My teenage daughter has tried sertraline, fluoxetine, and aripiprazole, all of which seem to have made her worse rather than better. Her anxiety and sensory overload is so bad she hears terrible voices almost constantly, making school impossible. I believe we need to give up on all medication but she's not so sure.