Hi, I have no special interests.

Hello,

I got diagnosed 7months ago, just before my 28th birthday. Ever since people have been telling me that all my social issues will be solved by going on forums and finding people who share my interests, but the problem is I don't really have any. I like things but not so intently that a person's negative opinion about them wouldn't make me consider dropping that interest. And I don't know lots about stuff I like. I like movies but like I've never seen most of the big ones people seem to always want to talk about. I remember when I heard my friends watched Community I was like "Oooh I've seen that!!" And then they made all these references I didn't get and I started to wonder if I'd missed half the show.

So yeah, here's me trying to join a community forum when I don't even know what I want to talk about with you Upside down

Parents
  • Hello NAS75737,

This is just a thought, but maybe you have yet to discover what your special interest is. As autism affects people on the spectrum differently, it's possible that maybe you don't have the special interest trait. There are traits that I know I have, and traits that I know I definitely don't have.

I have only been a member of this forum for a short while. When I joined, I had no idea what to expect or if it would be my kind of thing, which I guess is probably how everyone else felt when they joined. 

• I am sat here with my wife who was diagnosed some weeks ago. Trust me she was told to communicate with her tribe. Today her tribe reported her. Now I have to navigate to make her feel good again. 

I honestly believe that being in this community can cause more stress because if you say the wrong thing you will be demonised. 

My advice to you is.....be yourself, my wife found you tube channels that were educational and fun. 

Find your tribe is a lie.

• There is no tribe - just a bunch of different people, that doesn't fit anywhere.

• To some degree that's true. The thing that autistic people most share in common is their struggles. There is no autistic culture in the same sense as a race has a culture. But there is a shared set of issues many autistic people share dealing with the society and culture they find themselves trapped in.

I would say people with autism do seem to be attracted to sub cultures. But not the same ones. And history has shown again and again different subcultures often find it harder to get along with each other than with mainstream culture.

• To some degree that's true. The thing that autistic people most share in common is their struggles. There is no autistic culture in the same sense as a race has a culture. But there is a shared set of issues many autistic people share dealing with the society and culture they find themselves trapped in.

I would say people with autism do seem to be attracted to sub cultures. But not the same ones. And history has shown again and again different subcultures often find it harder to get along with each other than with mainstream culture.

Children
No Data