Allow me introduce myself

Greetings everyone!

I don't feel comfortable in revealing my real name over the internet until I really get to know and trust someone. But I orginally found this forum whilst searching for job interview advice and ended up checking out many of the great threads that are on here. It seems like a friendly community which is why I decided to join. Slight smile

Anyway, at the age of (I think) 5, I was diagnosed with Semantic Pragmatic Disorder. Whilst it has mellowed a lot as I have gotten older, I do occasionally still have difficulty with verbal comprehension particularly with following instructions and staying on track with long conversations. My reading comprehension is fine though, and I therefore prefer to have instructions that are written down. However, when I was at school, reading comprehension is something which I greatly struggled with and I hated English lessons for that reason. 

Whilst from time to time, my SPD can be a little frustrating, I generally don't dwell on it as I realise that every human being on the planet has their imperfections and that I have many positives in other areas. And so do you. Slight smile

Parents
  • Hii welcome to the community!

I like cats as well but I also love dogs :) 

• I like other peoples dogs but I could never own one as they play havoc with my sensory issues. I get so mad that these issues stand in the way of so much.

• I'm so sorry to hear that. That must be annoying for you! I have sensory issues but luckily not in that department. My sensory issue is with pain, I feel pain all over for like no reason. Especially bad with my teeth which sometimes stops me from brushing so I have to use mouth wash instead.

• Hi, I really get the anxiety with dentists and phones. when I was a child I was taken to the school dentist, I had too many teeth. It was decided that I think 18 needed removing. It was to be done 6 at a time. The first time I shutdown afterwards and had to be hospitalised with severe dehydration. Second trip I could see the gas mask coming towards me, I went into a big meltdown, I bit one of them and tried to climb out of the window. Four adults dragged me back and held me down. I didn’t know I was autistic then, the worst thing I think you can do to an autistic child is to hold them down. The third trip never happened, meltdown in the waiting room. I still have flashbacks every day and  this was 40 years ago. I’m waiting asd diagnosis at the moment, ptsd has been mentioned as well. I just can’t stand anyone being that near to my head and have their fingers or instruments in my mouth.

• Pleased to meet you too. 

Yes the whole thing is an issue for me,the smell of the place, the dentists face near mine,the fingers in my mouth, even me having my mouth open makes me feel vulgar. The list goes on.

• I'm not sure if there's a clinic near here I will have to look into it if I need to see the dentist at some point..I guess I probably do need to see one now but I'm ok at the moment happy to keep going for now. 

Being put to sleep sounds really scary.. that's a scary thought!

• My gnashers are gnarled Jess!

There may be an anaesthetic clinic in your area where you may be able to have dental treatment under sedation should you qualify.

They would give you amnesia inducing medication to eliminate the potential for trauma.

I say this, but there is a remote possibility if you are male and very large with a history of severe alcoholism that you will not receive a sufficient quantity of medication to ensure you don't remember though I'm confident that does not apply to you!

All the best,

Jim

• I absolutely hate going to the dentist. It's like the doctors but worse for me.. I hate being touched and some woman or man poking around in my mouth is very triggering! I avoid the dentist like the plague but my teeth and gums are suffering but I'm just too scared to go. Can't cope with that..

• I absolutely hate going to the dentist. It's like the doctors but worse for me.. I hate being touched and some woman or man poking around in my mouth is very triggering! I avoid the dentist like the plague but my teeth and gums are suffering but I'm just too scared to go. Can't cope with that..

Children
  • I'm not sure if there's a clinic near here I will have to look into it if I need to see the dentist at some point..I guess I probably do need to see one now but I'm ok at the moment happy to keep going for now. 

Being put to sleep sounds really scary.. that's a scary thought!

• My gnashers are gnarled Jess!

There may be an anaesthetic clinic in your area where you may be able to have dental treatment under sedation should you qualify.

They would give you amnesia inducing medication to eliminate the potential for trauma.

I say this, but there is a remote possibility if you are male and very large with a history of severe alcoholism that you will not receive a sufficient quantity of medication to ensure you don't remember though I'm confident that does not apply to you!

All the best,

Jim