Hii

Hii there, I'm Poppy. I'm autistic and struggling with a lot of things in life like extreme anxiety which then causes discomfort and sickness which is not pleasant at all. I'm oversensitive to a few things, light, sound, smell, that all makes things hard like going into bright sunshine lol like a vampire and can't really do any hoovering at the moment. I'm friendless because I'm no good with people and because my anxiety is restrictive in that way. In recent years I've had a few health problems with the family and this showed me how dependent I am on them. It's ok at the moment but if someone dies I'll be in a tricky situation so I want to try and become more independent, who knows in the end I might even be able to get a job and look at dating possibly. One thing I have thought of trying is going to my towns community centre, just to help out, chat and so on. I imagine that will cause extreme anxiety, maybe panic attack as well. But if it helps me adjust and become more independent then I may have to do it. I love my family and life at the moment is ok, but only because I have my family. When they're gone I'm going to be on my own and unprepared for life and the adult parts of it. It's like I'm 26 and I can't even do shopping on my own yet. Don't have a bank account. Don't drive. Don't work. I rarely go out and when I do I struggle to breathe and my hands tremble and people stare at me which makes me even more anxious.

Does anyone else have experience of doing things on their own? Any tips for me would be handy just so I can try make it a little easier when I try things :) 

Parents
  • Hi Poppy,

I think you’ve got the right idea to reach out more and start to build your independence. Myself and my son are autistic and my son feels the same as you do in this way - we have a rally close family but he’s wanting to be more independent too. Because of the pandemic it’s been more difficult as we also have health issues in the family so have had to be really careful about the virus. But hopefully eventually things will improve and he’ll be able to try out more things independently. Like you he’s really eloquent and intelligent but he finds talking to people really challenging (he has Selective Mutism in educational settings too. 
    I’m sure you’ll get some great comments and suggestions on here - it’s a very supportive community. 

• Hi Poppy,

I think you’ve got the right idea to reach out more and start to build your independence. Myself and my son are autistic and my son feels the same as you do in this way - we have a rally close family but he’s wanting to be more independent too. Because of the pandemic it’s been more difficult as we also have health issues in the family so have had to be really careful about the virus. But hopefully eventually things will improve and he’ll be able to try out more things independently. Like you he’s really eloquent and intelligent but he finds talking to people really challenging (he has Selective Mutism in educational settings too. 
    I’m sure you’ll get some great comments and suggestions on here - it’s a very supportive community. 

Children
No Data