New

Hello, I'm new here. My names Katy, or Katelyn to be completely correct but I prefer Katy.I literally only just got my diagnosis so still trying to understand everything and what happens next. I am very happy knowing what makes me different/unique though because I've been curious the last couple of years, I'm a very curious woman! I think my parents were glad to know as well. If I'm allowed to I would love to get to know more people in the same boat as me and I've also got a load going on in life, so I'd like to sort of open up about all that too as I'm not the best at being open and social in person. Find that real hard at the best of times. Okay... That's enough for now Slight smile

Parents
  • I think that a diagnosis gives reassurance and some clarity. Before realising that I was autistic, and subsequently  being diagnosed, I just thought that my strange quirks and difficulties were purely personal, a reflection of me being bad at life. I thought that other people had the same sort of difficulties, but were just much better than me at coping with them. I now know that I have difficulties that do not exist for the majority of people. Far from being a neurotypical who was not coping with everyday life very well, I was an autistic person who was functioning amazingly competently in a world that was very badly designed to meet my needs, and in some cases actually hostile.

• I think that a diagnosis gives reassurance and some clarity. Before realising that I was autistic, and subsequently  being diagnosed, I just thought that my strange quirks and difficulties were purely personal, a reflection of me being bad at life. I thought that other people had the same sort of difficulties, but were just much better than me at coping with them. I now know that I have difficulties that do not exist for the majority of people. Far from being a neurotypical who was not coping with everyday life very well, I was an autistic person who was functioning amazingly competently in a world that was very badly designed to meet my needs, and in some cases actually hostile.

Children
  • I think so too, reassurance and a little comfort. It defos beats not knowing. I hated not knowing, I spent so much time trying to figure myself out which meant delving deep into who I am which was a strange experience. I always thought that everyone was the same but just coped better than I did and hid it well. Didn't ever think that autism existed, just thought the struggles was something we all had. But now I know and I'm so glad I do.