Newly diagnosed daughter and me :)

My daughter was diagnosed with ASD and ADD last week. She is 16. The assessment phase lasted a year and during this time I did a lot of research and reading and realised that I am probably autistic too. I’d like to know if anyone here has been diagnosed as an adult (I am 52), how was it, how do you start the process? Thank you in advance. 

• Yours in a common tale...child has diagnosis, parent realises the child gets it from them.

The other tales being; butistic adult runs into MH prob and gets diagnosed, or autistic adult works it out themselves...I am combination of the later 2; medical phobia out of control and failed by MH until I worked out what the problem was myself...lol

With that I was diagnosed at 56. You have two options if you want to go through the process: a) find a good private assessor b) do some on line tests (preferably the AQ50) and approach your GP, tell them why you think you are autistic and how a diagnosis would help you. They should refer you, but you'll be in for a long wait on the NHS.

Nothing is stopping you in the interim, however, researching autism for yourself, applying the bits that help you to help you and joining the wider community as 'self-identified'. By the time older adults make it to assessment, to be honest, we already know. 

I had a great experience of the process. It was stressful, but I went with the NAS Lorna Wing Centre. They were great. Others have varying experiences with the NHS.

Welcome to the club.