Medication to help sleep in 4 year old

Hi, my grandson who is just 4 doesn’t sleep well,He goes to sleep but can wake for hours during the night. If he doesn’t go back to sleep then he falls asleep at nursery. His parents have been sleep deprived since they had him. Has anyone had experience with the use of Melatonin to help this situation? Thanks 

• Thank you,that’s interesting and helpful

• Hello,

I hope I can be of some help...

I was given melatonin (circadin tablets) for sleep around 3 years ago, and have found it to be helpful.

I think the prolonged release tablets may be helpful in your situation, as they release the medication over a longer period of time, and therefore should help to keep him asleep through the night. 

I have found that taking the medication around 2 hours before bed gives it time to kick in. As well as this, it limits the possibility that the medication has a lagging effect in the morning (as I have found that I can sometimes still be tired in the morning when I take the medication late at night).

The melatonin can really help with sleep, but I (personally) have found that it works best when it is used alongside other methods such as sensory relaxation before sleep (weighted aids, relaxing lighting, listening to music), keeping to a really structured bedtime routine and being aware of the foods and drinks that I have prior to going to bed.

Hope that you are able to resolve your grandsons sleep problems. X