Originally from Kent I moved to the West Country in 1981 when I joined the submarine service arm of the Royal Navy.

Successful careers followed in sales and management positions where I was able to use drive and determination rather than the one exam pass in art I managed in school as I just cannot study and retain the high levels of information required.

Have always felt different, struggled with relationships and friends but never did anything about it just repeated ‘that’s me’ I’m afraid.

In 2004 I met a marvellous lady who loved me so much she could put up with my man cave moments, my lack of empathy and all my other strange ways,

We married in 2006 but it wasn’t until 2020 that I read an article about autism diagnosis in adults or basically adults that only work it out later in life.

The only thing I did was buy a t shirt and parked the subject until 2021 when my marriage was in difficulties and in the depths of anxiety I work up one morning and decided to read up on autism in adults.

From there I undertook the autism test and asked my wife to complete one based on her many years of living with me and how she thought I should answer - I was worried I would try and sway the results ! To our utter shock both scores were exactly the same and the result was in no doubt.

So we both researched autism, swapped books where we thought it would help, and spent many hallelujah moments in tears as we can now help each other.

Its not easy coming to terms with autism in later life, some won’t believe it, some think it explains a lot and some we have been able to help and it takes one to know one works when you realise it’s you too.

We have worked out ways to avoid my trigger points, we still face many hurdles but we are ready to enjoy the next 18 years bu as my wife would say “ with fewer days spent treading on eggshells “

if I can help anyone especially who is late diagnosed then just ask