Hello from Ireland

Hi to you all... 

I have just found this forum, so I'm new here. 

Im 45 and awaiting an autism assessment.

I live near Galway in Ireland and would very much like to meet other people on the spectrum nearby.

Finding the whole process of this journey and the awareness it brings very difficult.

Kinda been trying to reach out to meet other people with similar experiences for advice and support.

Parents
  • Hello to you all! 

Thank you for all the greetings, lovin' the Irish banter.. Hehe.

Although I am only an honory Irish. Im here 20+ years but was born in scotland and raised in east anglia and southern England.

Yeah, its all getting very real as my first assessment interview takes place on Tuesday next.

Meltdowns have been a problem for me recently and have caused big problems including seperation from my wife and baby. I have just discovered my tendancy toward codependancy because of attachment issues and past traumas. This is amplified by many of my traits.

Learning that I am difficult to be around and that my traits and psycological issues cause such problems is very hard to take. I dont want to cause people hurt or troubles.

Being kind to myself is something im not used to either but is something I feel I must learn to be ok with. 

• How quick did you get your assessment from the referral? Probably a bit quicker in Ireland thank the UK?

Reply Children
  • I wish it was simple as that but I believe its very similar as an adult here.. 

There is not really a path through gp referral as far as I am aware. Unless you present with major difficulties or an incident occurs where referral is a necessity. 

Having to pay and avail of a private assessment is the only way here. 

There are little to no suports here either.